help with a lawn mower

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh you guys that cut your own grass .... I need to get a lawn mower... I am thinking of a push reel one... loke the old days... no more electric or gas stuff... my motto now is "I want to save the planet!"... everyone laughs when I say that... what should I get??? can't find one at Sears, HD or Lowes.... only online... but since I have never used one before I need advice... also I need a trimmer.... I have way too much to do... but I want to take care of my grass... not that I really like grass... but I was just looking at how much I am spending on landscaping and it seems too much.... ($40 week.... 4Xmonth X at least 5 months $800.00 plus $500. spring cleaning, $265 for lawn treatment.... grass is more expensive then plants!!!! with all this money I can buy way more plants!!!!)

so help me.... give me your suggestions!!!!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Advertise on Freecycle for a push mower - I bet you will have lots of choices of free ones! If you don't like a puch mower afterall - nothing lost - you can put it back on Freecycle and recycle it. I got a free one from a neighbor and it is soooo much better than trying to start the gas powered mower. Of course the only lawn I have is 24' x 20'. LOL The blades have to be kept sharp - the one I have sharpens itself as I mow - and you need to keep the grass short or it is really hard to keep the reel from being jammed up. It is good exercise!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

If you have a lot of grass to cut you might re-think the pusher. Also, do they mulch the grass well enough? If not, you'll have a mess that you're going to have to rake up. And you have to be sure the grass is nice and dry.

I hear you on the cost. It is a lot. Wish I had no lawn. Maybe someday.

I don't think that the push mowers mulch at all. If you get one with a basket behind it - it will catch the clippings and they can go in the compost pile. I count the raking as more exercise - a bonus!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would only put them in the compost if no chemicals are used. Kass mentioned 'lawn treatment'. Does that mean chemicals, Kass?

I forget about people using chemicals - good catch. I try to ignore my lawn and hope it will go away. That #@$% zoysia grass is tough stuff. I haven't put anything on it in 4 years and it still keeps growing.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Your lawn is small I am assuming? Reel ones are fine for smaller lawns, some have catchers. They cannot cut as high as rotary ones, but because they get a cleaner cut- grass does not dry out as fast as cutting 2" with a rotary. Personally I don't push any mowers and have a self propelled Toro.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

You might want to consider an electric mower. There are mulching and non-mulching models. You can get corded (cheaper) or cordless (more convenient). I have a Black & Decker corded model that I cut almost 1 acre with (no kidding, but I do have outbuildings so lots of outlets).

I used to have a reel mower for just my backyard, but I always procrastinated and the grass got too long to cut without an enormous amount of effort (if you keep it cut it's not at all hard - even fun).

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

My uncle has a reel mower and he loves it! Says it leaves the top of the grass nice and even, never paid that much attention myself but...! He's out there twice a week so I don't know if it's because he cuts it often that it doesn't leave a mess of grass trimmings. I have one that my grandfather owned and I have never used it! It's a bit on the heavy side, the newer ones are probably lighter and easier to push. Either way it's good exercise!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks everyone... I have too much grass... I REALLY need the exercise... and right now my grass is tall.... tons of weeds... anyway I use electricity for everything in my house... including heat.... yes, it's a huge bill... so I want to save on that... I am more and more convinced that grass is not a blessing... I really hope to get rid of it... I hope to solve the problem by saturday...

Yankee, I am going to look at the site you suggested... thanks....

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

my grass was treated only once this year... and that's another thing I don't want it... I am not planing to compost the grass this year... just the leaves.... hey can you use the push reel mower to cut leaves in the fall???

Haven't tried that - but I'm guessing it won't work. I wish someone would invent a non-electric leaf shredder.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

mee too... is there such a thing like a lawn mower that you can cut leaves???

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

A power mower can certainly help if you bag it. It won't be as clean as a raked/blown lawn. Al should be the expert.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

well it's official/// I am the proud owner of a gas lawn mower... oh I am sad that is gas... but it was so good to do it for the first time.... I had a lot of fun.... and the only comfort is that I can mulch with this one.... ha!!! now I can start my compost pile~~~~

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You should buy a gas one then.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I had a reel mower once. The problems were;
-can't let the grass get too long. Becomes very hard to cut.
-VERY difficult to sharpen the blades. You have to get expensive tool, use a file (rasp) or take it somewhere.
-grass is impossible to cut if at all wet.

I gave up after a couple of years.
Chuck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.