Any nasturtium growers?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I have never had a green thumb where they're concerned, but I have loved them since I saw a picture of them sprawling under the famous arch of roses in Monet's gardens. And I noticed they are not among the plants in our plants database here :(

Since they are not my strong suit, I thought I'd post a request here for someone else to add them to the database. If you hurry, you'll also be adding the 100th annual to the database :)

If you have any questions on how to add a plant, e-mail me or post back here and I'll be glad to help walk you through the process.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

done:)

lil

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Lilith, thanks so much! (((HUG)))

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Lilith, I've got a window box that gets sun and a little dappled shade till noon. I've been thinking about nasturtium majus for next year. Will that be enough sun for them?

janet, it should be, i've got some nasturtiums that have been planted underneath a rock garden and get partial shade - they love it, mine seem to like being crammed in with other things and to be really moist, they're about 40cm tall atm and flowering too, the only thing i'd mention is NOT to feed them, if you do you'll get lots of lovely foliage, but no flowers :/

lil

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

How about mulching with compost, would that be OK?

Thanks so much for the info. Hey, and maybe you could throw some of those majus seeds in on the trade.

Anything you're looking for in particular?

i'll trade for some of your Portulaca grandiflora, ok? i've e-mailed you

lil

they're trailing all over, the strawberries and cream variety is really pretty here's a pic http://www.aftonbladet.se/bostad/0103/07/krasse.html sorry the page is in swedish, but it's the best pic i can find.

Carlinville, IL(Zone 5b)

I love them. Two of my favorites are 'Alaska' and 'Empress of India'. I think it's Alaska with the pretty variagated foliage. These two give those rich reds and oranges I like best. I plant them along a low retaining wall behind my deck - they'll wilt in the drought but not die and perk up after a rain. They really are delightful!

janet - they're STILL flowering.. lots.. i have seen some seed from some flowers that have faded, but it'll be prob another month or so before they're ready. i should have some 'jewel mixed' soon too, some of these are a gorgeous intense blood red, very dark, but very pretty, especially with the large foliage. i have found these to be great trailers, very useful for covering up bare patches where the annuals have been pulled out (like poppies) - just divert them in another direction!

lil
http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/lilith

Oh Lil...........Me too please''Sis'

e-mail me your addy sis and i'll get them to you when theyre ready

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Good to hear from you, Lil. I'm harvesting too, so we'll get back to each other in a couple of weeks or so when we're ready to roll.

the flowers are starting to fade now, so the seeds shouldn't be long, do you want the strawberries and cream or just a mixture?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

A mixture would be great. Thanks. I'll email you.

Lil,I sent your seeds this morning,as we had
some nasty weather yesterday' Just wanted to
let ya know and hope they arrive in good con-
dition too,let me know if they survived the
trip,lol,ok??TIA,Sis'

janet - no problem, makes it easier for me! and thanks sis, i'll let you know when they come :)

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

I use nasturtiums to pop up my hanging baskets, in early summer when i plant them out i pop in nasturtium seeds so they are now flowering and will do so until hard frosts, i keep them dead headed though for they will keep on flowering. Yes i too love Empress of India and Alaska-in june or july i pop seeds everywhere so that now i have flowers everywhere. They are cheap and cheerful plant.

Me too Sheila,an all around hard workin' flower,love'um''
It's so dependable plus the bonus of pretty' And the best,as you say,cheap'''I don't have a fav but do lean towards Empress of India' Is there a white one,just curious?

Dover, DE(Zone 7a)

Sis-
There is a type called "peach Melba'. According to my seed booklet, the petals are the same shade as the flesh of a white peach. It says it is a top-setter, which I gather means it's flowers are above the leaves. I am planning my garden for next year and I am doing a lot of "studying" (day dreaming really) about the flowers I will plant next year. Hope this helps!

BH

There is another plus to the humble nasturtium and thats as a black fly attractant away from crops which are susceptable to them.

I also like the leaves in salads too.

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Baa i have tried them in salads etc cant stand them not a taste i like, but i do put the flowers on a salad to make it look nice.

LOL yes perhaps an 'aquired taste' Sheila and you're right the flowers do brighten the usual flat green salad.

Hey all,tryin' to catch up,been away on vacation' Thanks Bossyhummer,peach melba,I'll remember that one,love peaches,lol' Ok,I confess,do eat my nasturtiums,lol' Kinda peppery taste to me,yum' No pesticides in my garden either to worry about'' Thanks for all the info' See ya,Sis'

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Lilith, I tried this one year and was careful to NOT fertilize but still got nothing but green growth and not much bloom. Our soil is very poor in phosphates, should I have added some bone meal or superphosphates? What ph do they prefer?

Woodspirit

It sometimes depends on the variety. I grow a trailing one which is seems to have more leaf than anything else but the flowers are hiding underneath. They seem to do much better on a poor, neutral soil, you could try adding phospate but I doubt it will make a great deal of difference.

Try growing a dwarf variety such as Tom Thumb, their flowers are more visable.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

If someone wants, I can send Tropaeolum majus 'Glorious Gleam' seeds.... collected from my own plants. I can send them free for 2 first, or we can also make a trade ;)

(Zone 5a)

I love them as well and fell in love with them when I saw all these beautiful flower in a hanging basket at the local garden center. It just took my breath away, and the light fragrance was wonderful. So they will have a home in my garden every year. They are very easy to grow just water when dry and feed twice a month though out the blooming season. I also like to pick a few and snack on them while gardening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.