need ideas for shade

Springfield, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a pretty good start to my shade garden, but I'm looking for ideas to spread the blooming time out and get more height. I have hosta, lamb's ear, iris, silver dollar, and daylily already (I have more sun in spring, less as the summer goes on). What should I add? Preferably, I'd like suggestions for tall plants, with white or light colors, and at least one suggestion for something that will bloom in summer and/or fall.
Kathy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Foxglove, tall.

Light-coloured coleus for contrast.

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

I think that you'd like Cimicifuga (commonly called cohosh or bugbane) which gets to be about 5 ft tall and has tall arching flowers which are about as fragrant as you can find and the good thing is they don't flower until late August if they're in the shade. They don't like to dry out, so they do take a little work, but well worth the effort. I have them in different parts of my gardens and they're one of the first to start in the spring and last to leave in the fall. Turtlehead is another great fall flowering plant. I have pink and white and they are great late in the year when most other plants are dying back. The more shade you give them, the greener the foilage. I pinch them back when they get about a foot tall causing them to send up new shoots which will produce even more flowers. I love the shade garden and there are many more plants I can tell you about. Happy shade gardening!

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 12:35 PM

Springfield, IL(Zone 5a)

Everyone,

Your suggestions are great. Exactly what I was needing. Now I just need to find some seed or plants. If anyone has too much of what they've got, I'd gladly take them off your hands :). Thanks again
Kathy
mooves2

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

Hi Kathy, I'd be glad to share some seeds when they are ready. Just let me know what type of plants you want and I'll do my best.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

You wanted something tall - try Oakleaf Hydrangea. Also Sweet Shrub is luschious in the spring. Don't for get Helleborus.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 13th 12:22 PM

In my shade garden, for height I have astillbe in 4 colors plus cardinal lobelia in the damper areas, and where some slanted light gets in: columbine, foxglove, several hostas, 2 hydrangeas, 2 lemon spires, 3 holly, a variegated weigelia, lupines, bleeding heart,...& as ground covers: spotted dead nettle, & creeping euonymous. It's surprising how many things do well in the shade. I have daffodil, gladiolus byzantinus, & tulip bulbs poked in there too that do really well.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Surprised no one mentioned Japanese Anemone, 'Honorine Jobert' is a beautiful single white. Dee

This message was edited Monday, Oct 1st 1:06 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.