Huge red canna

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

This has been flowering for months and sets heaps of seeds....dry heat doesn't seem to affect the flowers and they hold well,this is growing in hot dry south west qld in full sun at my daughters, we don't know its name but is a stunner...on drip irrigation for a couple hours each week.the best red I have seen !!

Thumbnail by brical1

closer pic

Thumbnail by brical1

this is another from same garden...canna rosebud

Thumbnail by brical1

and another..don't know its name was bought from a big box store some years back.

Thumbnail by brical1

en avent ...these pics were all taken about 2weeks ago...now we are in winter so at the end of the flowering season.I will just have to drool over all of your pics for the next few months!!oh well

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 6:52 PM

Thumbnail by brical1
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hehehehe. Bout time you guys have your turn to drool!!!

Nice cannas too!!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

the Red looks like a Russian Red Paul

*gasp!!* Paul is baaaack!!! :~p

Pepper, then show us pics to drool over lol !!!Paul how bout you post a pic of russian red too!!

Thumbnail by brical1

I would if I could!! Mine are not very tall. They are taking their sweet time growing. I got the ones you can see in the pic from paul and I have a few rhizomes planted there on both ends that I got from a coworker. I hope I don't kill those. lol.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i dont have one

Sorry, pic wouldn't go thru. Will try again. Just remembered to resize it.

Paul, I can't believe you don't have a pic!! That is so unlike you!!! LOL.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Pepper,will they get to flowering size before your season ends?Gee I need to check pics before I postnext, I think I have a lot to delete!!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by brical1

I can hope!! At the rate they are going now they may not. I am gonna hit them with more fertilizer again as soon as I can get to the store and get some. Maybe that will help. It's great soil there. Lots of compost and old pottin soil mixed in with the clay.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

use some kangaroo poop

Not to be found around here. lol. I am gonna use the TerraCycle worm poop. Heard it works great. I have been using some granules from Fox and something Farms. Organic stuff that helps with root growth. Works great but need to focus on other stuff now that roots are established.

Where these pics were taken(daughters) they're in virtual plague proportions,have wrecked total havoc in the garden eating anything thats green including roses,geranuims,daylilies but they don't touch the cannas..leave plenty of droppings though.They tell me one seen had paws nearly as big as a mans hand...wouldn't like a close encounter with him!!!They now have a roo proof fence around the perimeter.

Thumbnail by brical1

Wow!! What a view!! We have squirrels we have to keep an eye on and puppies. I put some fert on a clematis the other day and all 9 of my neighbor's puppies went over there and started eating the dirt. I have put black pepper and crush red pepper around it to keep them out. Works great!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.