Dry shade under huge tree

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a large area of dirt under a huge tree. I was told the tree was a "chinese orchid"? It looks like a redbud tree and sheds it's leaves profusely. I'd like to find something that will grow under it in dry total shade. I'm in Los Angeles, very hot and dry most of the year. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Madison, WI

I think, Aspidistra would work.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

That looks like a great choice enya, thank you.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Aspidistra is a great choice but just make sure that it doesn't get any direct sun. It will burn and look awful.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

There is NO sun at all in that spot.

Madison, WI

I live much much farther north than you. My aspidistra grow indoors. It's the only
plant that grows happily in the built in planter in the hall. It's a low light area by
the heater. The house at 78-80F year round. I have 4 different Aspidistras. Some
are very slow to spread and some are rather aggressive. I like the low growing
Aspidistra China Sun. It's rather vigorousand has an instresting habit of snaking
rhyzomes.

You may know this, but I share, just in case. I was always skeptical about mulching.
Seemed like too much work for little gain. I tried some last fall and this year I
mulching heavily most of my garden. I could not believe the different 2-3" of wood
chips made. I send a message to local recycle group and got free chips from a local
trimmer delivered to my driveway.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds good Marju. Hellebores also will tolerate dry shade and grow in the dark.

Here's a whole list:
http://www.berkeleyhort.com/plants/p_shade_dry.html

Madison, WI

doss,
What a great list for your climate!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

thanks enya; yes, I have completely neglected my dry shade area in favor of my sunny garden, which I pamper and coddle. But I think if I plant some stuff that will grow there, I will pay more attention, and yes, I'll mulch! Aside from the benefits, it looks so much better than dirt.

and thanks for that list doss, lot's of new ideas, very helpful!

Now that I've pretty got my main garden under control, I can start on my shade garden!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm having the same problem with the area under my redwood trees. I have put in some irrigation there though. Water doesn't even get through there when it rains so you can imagine how dark it is. I'm trying some things but don't know what will grow and what won't.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

doss, probably ferns for dry shade where you are, I'd say. Same as in a redwood forest. Hey, just visit Muir Woods and see what's growing!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've got quite a few ferns, epimediums are another plant that is supposed to grow in dry shade after it's been established. I have some hostas in there and am planning some tiarella in addition to the ferns. It's coming along. I do have enough water there now that I can grow some plants that like a little more water.

But a good idea about visiting Muir Woods. Always a lovely trip.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess there's a much larger selection of plants if there is water available, right? There actually is a sprinkler system there, I just have to hook it up. I'll probably do that, because it's already getting too hot here for daytime gardening in the sun, at least for me. I would love to try hostas, but I don't think they do well here in Los Angeles, I'll have to do more research. I've never done a shade garden before.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

There are quite a number of very nice hostas that grow in zone 9. You would have to mail order them though. My favorite right now is "stained glass". No plants will be drought resistant until they've been in the ground atleast one year.

Thumbnail by doss
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

The trouble with the zone system is that it registers how cold it gets, not how hot! You and I are basically in the same zone, but the weather in the summer in Stanford is much different than down here. It gets very hot where you are, but here it really is like living in hel****!!. I used to live up there too, and it was a whole new universe in gardening when I got down here. I've become very fond of lavenders and sages!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

LA is a big place. I grew up closer to the ocean than you must be so for some reason I don't think of it as horribly hot. I know inland it can cook! You will be really glad that you hooked the sprinklers up I think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.