Help With Horse Signs Please

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, I'm making the signs for the horses over at Buzzy and Jeanne's stable. For anyone who hadn't read about this earlier, this is a surprise for them. I decided to do this since they are being soooo good to me. PC's artwork really inspired me to do something "artsy"...not that my stuff will be anything near what she's capable of!!!

Anyway, DH is cutting and routering the edge of some poplar wood for me for the signs. I'm planning on leaving the wood grain show, not sure on whether or not to stain it or just apply some poly when I'm all finished. Any thoughts? Poplar will turn a darker color w/ age and if exposed to sunlight, it's very cool that way...but you could end up with a sign that's half dark and half light if only half of it is exposed to sunlight.

And again, my age old question.....should I just put the horse's name on the sign or add a little pic that goes along w/ their name? What would y'all want for your horse? Painting the pics would be more work and time, but this is all fun for me so it's no big deal.

Here's the horse's names that I have easily come up with pics for the signs...
Lucky - horseshoe and 4 leaf clovers
Torch - a torch, of course!
Echo - no pic, but to paint his name 3 times overlapping..."echo" effect, lol
Dynamite - dynamite, with the fuse wrapped around his name
Lace - want to do lacy swags at the top and sides of sign, maybe a flower?

Horse names w/ no pics yet and I need ideas, PLEASE!!
Vic (short for Victor or Victory I am assuming)
Satin - this one really stumps me, I have no clue how to paint satin
Louie - this horse is actually in shows and does very well, so maybe I could pull something from that?
Dreamer - she's a young, high spirited filly and I just can't come up with anything to match her great personality. DH suggested "zzzz" like sleeping, and that just won't work!
Impact/George - Impact is the registered name, George is the barn name, but Buzzy hates calling him George. I was thinking to paint Impact large and put George in smaller letters. But what for a pic? This is also a young horse, 4 yr old, and just so gorgeous, I wish I knew what color he's called. He's black w/ reddish brown dapples (spots?) and loves to just run around and goof off.

I'd like to try to do Lucky and Torch's signs tonight and take them over tomorrow. Then I can do the rest of the signs over the summer. I'm starting w/ these two because I ride Lucky and Torch is Buzzy's dream horse.

Sorry for rambling on...but y'all must be used to it by now, LOL!! Thanks for any help or ideas, I appreciate it lots!

This thread has 42 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!