Design help please

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm new to gardening, and have started to try to rearrange and add to an existing bed by our pool. The previous owners didn't seem to have any actual design in mind, and plants were just sort of scattered around the bed. I moved almost all of the existing plants which were . . .

salvia
red hot poker
columbine
bleeding hearts
some sort of asiatic lily

Then I added the following . . .
blue fescue grass
silver mound
sedum autumn joy
geranium (johnson's blue)
scabiosa butterfly blue
lavendar (provence)
rose of sharon
foxglove
butterfly bush
phlox (morris berd)
phlox (bright eyes)

Anyway . . . the plants are all very young - I planted them all this spring, and most of them from bare root. So, I feel like the garden is looking a little sparse. I'm wondering whether I should give the garden a year or two to fill in before thinking about adding more plants, or do have any suggestions as to what I could add now? I'm also thinking about adding a rose bush or two, but the bed does get a lot of shade. Anyway, I'm new to this, and would love any advice.

Thumbnail by pgt
This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!