Deadly fungus?

Newport News, VA

I'm not sure it's fungus, but it sure is fast and it's killing several plants; so far two butterfly bushes (front and back yards), a raspberry bush, some rudbekia and some salvia. Please, somebody help me before my entire yard is affected!

Thumbnail by edevenny
Newport News, VA

Here's a butterfly bush

Thumbnail by edevenny
Newport News, VA

And another. This one is heartbreaking because it was so thick and beautiful, ready to start blooming. Now I think it's a goner.

Thumbnail by edevenny
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I could be wrong, but especially in pic #2 it looks like spider mite damage to me. Check the undersides of the leaves, look very closely for little brownish specks or webbing, if you find either of those then that's what it is. If that's what it is, I would take your garden hose and hit all the affected plants plus any plants that are near them with a strong jet of water, make sure to get the undersides of the leaves as best you can. Then if you want you can follow up with insecticidal soap or other pesticide of choice (check the label, if it kills spider mites it'll tell you that).

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I suspect environmental problems. Do you live near any factories, manufacturing plants, etc that might release contaminants into the air, such as ozone, etc? What have you been spraying these plants with? What has been sprayed nearby?

We recently had a big ozone damage problem, although we do not live near the factories. The winds apparently blew the contaminants our direction, just as the rain washed them out of the air and onto the plants.

These don't look like fungal or insect damage to me....

Several different species of plants all exhibiting similar damage. Have you or your neighbors sprayed anything in the past few weeks?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.