They are here already (Those blasted Japanese Beetles)

Thomson, GA

I went out this morning to walk through my garden before church, and stopped to admire some lovely old fashioned yellow roses. A really ugly bloom caught my eye, and I didn't realize what it was until I reached out to deadhead the bloom. UUGGHH! Beetles, gross disgusting beetles, doing what beetles do! Uuggghhh!!

Thumbnail by guardians
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Yep they always show up the first of June. My hope was that it had been so dry that maybe they wouldn't survive but I guess they have. I'll be looking today. Thanks for the reminder.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

yep i spotted the first one in my garden about a week ago. they usually demolish every leaf on my plum tree.

kelly

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yup... saw them today too :( I crunch them up in gloved hands. I read somewhere on DG that a gardener puts out a white five gallon bucket with water and soap and they drown themselves?? Don't know if that works.. but bet the mosquitoes like it too.

Susan

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

ugh is right!!!! yucky!!! look at these that i found this morning on my burning bush!

kelly

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Brunswick, GA

My Jack Russell terrier supplements his meals with beetles. He goes out under the porch light in the evening and eats all he can find. Wish I could get him to go over to the roses.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 6:56 AM

Thomson, GA

Tha's what I like; a well-trained dog. Wish my Sammie would do that.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Now, why can't I get these lazy mutts I have to eat those hateful things. I had a purple crepe myrtle a couple of years ago that I finally got rid of because the beetles just demolished it every year. Now they are on my hollyhocks & 4 o'clocks.. YUK.. I drown them in hot soapy water.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Elaine, you want Jap. beetles on your 4 o'clocks! Let them eat their fill 'cause they won't live to take another bite of anything after munching on 4 o'clocks.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh,,, that's right... one bug's nectar is another bug's poison... LOL.. thanks for reminding me.
Now, I think I will just put all those nasty things right on the 4'oclocks...
Hugs, Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.