Mailing Seeds

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Anyone know if I could send Seeds to Germany from the United States without them being confiscated? Thanks Paul

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have never heard of anyone being put in jail or paying a fine for ignoring that particular law.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Guess it must be like sending them to Britain but slightly easier as they won't be able to read the description on the customs form! lol

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Ah! The Masters of Subterfuge know how to move things around.

Yeah thats true... if you want to post abroad, then Dale is the guy to know..

No signs of movement in the first of the ceibia seeds yet though dale... I tried soaking sanding and leaving well alone in sandy compost for drainage and kept in the propagator at 24oC None of those experiments have come up yet.

The gibrelic acid thing i'm not sure about as i have never seen it for sale over here, and i figure its the same as sanding and soaking.

Mike

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mike, look here for a great seed selection> http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

then here> http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm

Then there is the odd way - take a seed, grind lightly between your molars (do not swallow at all) for a couple minutes, place (spit is a nasty word, so I won't use it) with some extra saliva into a drepression 4 times deeper than the seed is across and bury. Have a bottle of water handy to rinse your mouth, use that to wet the soil. I have had to do this in the past with Fuchsia seed to get them to sprout, worked great (from 2% germination to about 50%). Enzyme action.

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Mike, it is spelled gibberellic acid - perhaps that will help you find it. Not something I've used either. Chewing and spitting on them sounds easier and fun so long as you don't accidentally eat them! Good luck.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mike try puting a little peroxide in the water that you soak the seeds in Paul

Hehe Paul... where do i get peroxide from? My wife has dark hair so obviously the bathroom cabinet wont have it for hairdying purposes! I'm not bleach blonde either..

The spitting and chewing sounds nasty.... would the orange juice thing work? I hear it works with passion flowers.

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

it might get the perokide at a drug store

Heheh me in a drug store! I'll check it out some time soon.

Mike

Yorkshire,

Ok, now my mind's boggling at what would happen if you accidentally swallowed the seeds. Would you end up with a fuchsia growing in your tummy?? LOL

Mike, you can buy the peroxide at any chemist/pharmacy. Just as for a bottle of peroxide but you only need the weakest strength. From my hairdressing days I know that it comes in different strengths (from weak, for highlights, to super-dooper paint-stripper stuff, for turning black hair into cotton wool...don't ask!!) When I bought some for Daylily seeds I only used the weakest solution diluted 10%.
You could use what's left over to highlight those golden tresses of yours, hahaha

Terri

Terri I'm all really like goldy locks with my long blonde hair...... lol
I really just can't see me going into a chemist for one, then buying hair bleaching stuff... i'll be buying nail polish next!

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mike Looks a Bit Like one of The Faye People Elf or knome

Yorkshire,

ROFLMBO, Mike, peroxide isn't only used for bleaching hair, it is a strong 'disinfectant' and is used in medicine a lot to clean surfaces and such like. I think it is widely accepted now that hydrogen peroxide is used to help seed stratification, so your pharmacist won't look at you funny when you ask for it.
Oh, and about the nailpolish...just tell the pharmacist you put a small blob of that on your tortoises shell so that you can find him when he's hiding in the flowerbeds (it works for me!!).
Isn't DG a feast of useful information, LOL

Terri

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Terri, not only useful information, but, personal tidbits too. So you used to be a 'hair burner'? I don't know it they use that term across the pond, but, it always brings such 'interesting' pictures into my little brain.

PS. In South America where Fuchsia are native, the make the fruits into preserves and 'soft drinks' like lemonade. I found them sweet but bland. I will take a mandarin orange any day.

Paul,, The who? lol... Faye what?

Hair burner? I think i must be lossing this thread! Its all starnge words and putting hair dye on poor hedgehogs!

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.