Another Corn question

Brownsboro, AL(Zone 7a)

A basic corn question. What does it mean when the corn stalk starts growing tassels when it is still under four feet tall and thus stunted? This is Burpee 'Early and Often Hybrid.' It has been hot here in Alabama and I water it each day but I do not deep water it. I just get the ground wet around the plant. Obviously there are some weeds present also. Any advice on how to grow corn would be appreciated.

Jeff
Huntsville, AL

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 3:21 PM

Thumbnail by Jeffxxx
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have not grown Early and Often but from your pictures it seems perfectly normal. Most early corn does not get more than 4- 5 ft tall, which means starts tasseling at about 2 ft. Some of my Silver Knight started tasseling at 15-18 inches this year. While it looks good, daily shallow watering encourages shallow root development which makes the plant very susceptible to stress.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info fd. I did not know that about the shallow watering/root growth. SO MUCH to learn!

Brownsboro, AL(Zone 7a)

Farmerdill,

Thank you for responding. I'll try and do a better job of watering. As you are well aware it is in the 90's each day here.

I looked at your posted pictures of Silver Knight and I see what you mean.

Jeff

This message was edited Jun 11, 2007 5:41 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.