How many varieties do you have?? Part III

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

The last thread was getting too long.....

here's Part II http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/726792/
here's Part I http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/717658/

I think I have 20 and a coupla NOID's

Blue Angel
Fire & Ice
Francee
Frosted Jade
Ginko Craig
Gold Standard
Golden Tiara
June
Lancifloria
Monatana Aureomarginata
Northern Sunray
Patriot
Paul's Glory
Regal Splendor
Royal Standard
Striptease
Undulata Albomarginata
Undulata Univittata
Winsome

....which is NO where near any of you guys

Terese

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 4:09 PM

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm somewhere around 70 right now. A piddling sum compared to others!

MollyD

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi from Halifax. Responses will be limited in the next couple of days. Back home on Wed. morning.

Terese - we all started with a list like yours or less. ;-)

Molly, you'll be over the 100 mark next year, I bet.

Welcome, Samantha. Sorry about your HVX, but good you learned about it early and have, hopefully, not infected your other plants.

Jax - you'll love Ice Age Trail if it looks half as good as mine does.

I've learned that my remaining hostas will be shipped this week - Tuesday. But they didn't get Tortifrons in and from another nursery, the Alligator Shoes all died; so I did n't get that one either. But that gives me freedon to get a couple from my local nursery.

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm in need of a new Ice Age Trail as mine isn't nearly streaky enough.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

My Ice Age Trail was doing great till the Easter Freeze. Now it's gone. :~(((

Debbie

Crete, IL

724 different varieties.
I am a hostaholic, and I think I may need help!...... or more property

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I am SO LUCKY to find Ice Age Trail in a gallon pot and with lots to choose from. I'm there first thing tomorrow to pick one out. I complimented the woman who was working there on the great hosta assortment- she looked at me with the blankest stare!, like I was some kind of nut (I am!)!! I bought my 'Summer Breeze' there for about $8-9 the other day- it was all the cash I had on me- pretty sad!!! LOL

For everyone expanding their collection (who isn't?), I know around here there are huge bargains at the nurseries in the fall, after the foliage is nipped. I got some 1-gal. beauties for $5 ea.!!! I think I got about 15 of these, and only lost one- Jimmy Crack Corn, which is too bad, I needed a big gold. Unfortunately, I think many of these tags were wrong. I am waiting for the pollen around here to abate b/f posting the pictures of my mystery bargain hostas- the pollen is so thick and yellow it's ruining the look of the hosta leaves- and it doesn't wash off easily- we need a good rain.

Dallas, TX

I met this Hunk at the Home depot at the check out stand. He was buying one of those ratty hanging ferns. he asked me if it would come back next year. Hesaid he could not get anything to grow in his yard because he had too much shade. I asked him had he tried Hostas, he said I love Hostas, but they dont grow for me, I asked him why not? I live here and I own 165. I also told him to join Dave's and we would teach him everything he needs to know about hostas. He left excited and turned around and said do you own a farm, I told him there is about 7500 cultivars of Hostas in the world and my little 165? a farm it does not make! I must have looked terrible, he thought I was a Hosta farmer. lol

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Oooohhhhhhh Sylvia!!!!! Did you get his address so you can go help him out??LOL

Debbie

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Sylvia...to a poor hunk who was attempting to buy a ratty looking fern, you ARE a hosta farmer;) I think you should have run with that:)))
Bev

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I will be attempting to create new hostaholics at my Garden Club plant sale! I have already sold hosta to a lady I met at a yard sale here in town on Saturday. She bought three pots of my undulata based on the picture I emailed her. I don't have to dig them up until next week as she said she was going on vacation today and wouldn't be home until next week so I don't have to sweat it for now.
I got nine clumps out of the $5 YSHTAS. Oh, my goodness, what an exercise that was. Roots down to China!! It had definitely been killing off the lowest branches of the quince next to it. I gave a clump to my neighbor, planted three on my hillside reclamation project and potted the others up for sale. I could probably have gotten more out of it, but I wanted nice fat clumps for the sale and also for the hillside. Potted up the rest of my Gold Drop too. Next is Golden Tiara.
Oh, and my new little Cameo has thrown a flower spike!!
Just the one. the other is holding back.
Martha

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I went on a garden walk yesterday with a girlfriend. She told me that a lady that lives just up from her mom had been on a hosta walk. The lady was a member of the hosta society and they have walks every year. Do any of you belong and have these hosta walks?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

.to a poor hunk who was attempting to buy a ratty looking fern, you ARE a hosta farmer;) I think you should have run with that:)))

LOL... i agree with Bev.... shoulda run with that one!!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Just took this picture of Cameo and its flower stalk. It's sooo cute!
Martha

This message was edited Jun 11, 2007 10:18 AM

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Martha.... that is a cutie!! something about those lil minis. I put my Winsome in a pot.... it was just so lost in the ground. Looks better now... and it too has the tiniest of a flower stalk.

Terese

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

terry,
I belong to the American Hosta Society, but none locally. Have never been on a hosta walk except at Foxfire.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Kelly -- any idea how they held up in those storms last Thursday.... I saw that Marshfield was right in the path.... sio i was thinking about them and all the plants... hoping they came through unscathed.

terese

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Terese,
We didn't get any of it here in Owen, not even a rain drop. During what was supposed to be the worst of the storm, we had sun,,,,lol There was a trucker that spotted a funnel cloud between Owen and Thorp (12 miles from us) but nothing came of it. Don't know about Marshfield though, haven't heard a thing.

Kelly

Boston, VA(Zone 7a)

compost pail - a recepticle to collect kitchen scraps, no meat, for the compost pit.

Found just what DH wanted in Lee Valley. Thanks all for your help.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

We didn't get a drop either... down in Lake Delton. We were watching it all day, then saw the storm "split"
It was a bit windy, but nothing like was forecasted. they (the news) said we'd get hit at 5pm.... we were shopping... and nothing... which was great, 'cuz being in a "trailer park" nothing more scary than high winds and tornadoes. [plus we had MIL with us, and she'd be a basketcase]

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

tcs,
Glad to hear you didn't get hit.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

NJR did you say 724 or was that a typo?? LOL

A hosta nut indeed. I'll bet it's fun in your shade gardens. Do you grow them with anything else?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Ann: it wouldn't surprise me a bit! I also have 38 babies I didn't include in that count :-)

NJR: I'd say you were seriously infected-LOL

Jax: That's a great idea! I'm going to tour all the nurseries in our area by July or August. Bet their stuff is getting 'old' by then!

TerryR: I've never heard of a hosta walk. What do they do on these walks?

Sylvia: Girl what were you thinking of! You should have said why yes I am and I would be so glad to teach everything I know about them HOWEVER long it takes ;-)

MollyD

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Sylvia,
Then, you could have said, "And can I have your phone number in case I think of something else??? "

Come on! Somebody needs to do this for the rest of us...I live life vicariously;-))

Bev

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

Don't know about Marshfield though, haven't heard a thing.

holycow Kelly -- you are a hop, skip and a stones throw from them... if you didnt get anything, i'm sure they were unscathed too.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

tcs,
You never know around here. Wait 5 minutes and the weather will change. There was a storm about 6 miles from here and we never got a drop,,,lol

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Among the giant:
Sagae
Sum and Substance {4}
Royal Standard {4}
Big Mama
$5. YSHTAS {7}
Large green with white border
Large yellow with green border
Gold Standard
Large:
Bressingham Blue
Minuteman
Elvis Lives
Antioch
A green/white undulata type
Lakeside Cha Cha
a large blue green frances williams type {this could be frances williams} but I lost the bag the roots came in.
Patriot
Large white/green from stop and shop. no name on pots {4}
Medium to Small
White/greenundulata
Gold Drop
Golden Tiara
Blue Cadet
Korean Snow
Praying Hands
Small to Mini
Hi Ho Silver
lemon lime {soon to be 2 plants}
sea wiggles
feather boa
Allen P. O'Connell
Stiletto
Green Elf
Hope
Cherish
Cracker Crumbs
Cat's eye
Green eyes
Tiny Tears
Cameo {2}
Medusa
Excalibur
Twist of Lime
Golden Scepter
Pandora's box
two nameless minis for which I lost the tags
and I probably have left out a couple here and there
because I can see them in my mind, but they are NOIDS
My garden isn't completely covered with hosta...yet!
I think this comes to 43 or so.
Martha

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 8:03 AM

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
TerryR: I've never heard of a hosta walk. What do they do on these walks?

They're the same thing as a garden walk. Except that the homes main feature is their collection of hosta. There are regional hosta societies if I understand it correctly. With in the region, people sign up to be on the walk. So they aren't all just in one town, you drive from town to town within your region.

Dallas, TX

You go Martha, I am trying not to get too carried away with NOIDs either.

Does anyone have a picture of Honeybells? I found this tag that says Honeybells and I would like to which it is.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are photos of Honey Bells in the plantfiles.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/3185/

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

honeybells
http://hostalibrary.org/h/honey-bells.html

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

doss -- GMTA (i just went to the library since it's faster for me to find something)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Both are good. Here are my pots all full of hostas. Here's hoping that my research went well and they will do as well for me as golden tiara, plantiginea and stained glass have done. I've kept it to medium to small hostas too so they won't outgrow their pots quickly. They are on a drip system as it's the only way I could keep them watered. They have one more handicap and that is that they are planted under a black walnut tree. I've had about 5 pots going for 5 years so the new ones should be happy - or as happy as they can get in a pot. Better than having to fight with the roots of the walnut for everything.

Thumbnail by doss
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

most of the NOIDS are not the plant's fault! It's because I lose the tags and forget the names of what I planted except when I post pictures here as they come in. I just remembered that I have Baby Bunting too and I have been spelling the name of Allan P. McConnell wrong for at least a year. sigh. thanks to Zilis for keeping up with things Hosta for me. Here's Allan and a potential sport I found the other day. The two plants were from the same clump.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The latest hosta journal {AHS mag} had pix of gardens they visited at the last year's hosta convention. Garden gate magazine sent me a freebie subscription copy that had a beautiful hosta display on the cover. It was an article about a photographer and the picture was from her garden but they didn't name any of the hosta in the picture.
Martha

Crete, IL

No typos 724 different kinds. And my back feels it. Swapping hostas with friends is a great way to expand your collection without paying alot. Things have changed over the last 10 year, I no longer WANT a hosta... I NEED it.

Thumbnail by NJR2004
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Martha, I have a similar potential sport of APM - and I note I also spelled it wrong at the time I posted the thread though I DO know how to spell it. LOL
Check out:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/733773/

Maybe it happens frequently.

I expect the remaining Hostas that I ordered today or tomorrow. Then my new ones will include:
Cameo
Cherish
Country Mouse
Deja Blu
Fair Maiden

Fire Island
First Frost
Full Moon
Ice Cream
Lakeside Cupcake

Lakeside Looking Glass
Lakeside Shoremaster
Last Dance
Lemon Frost
Little Red Rooster

Little Sunspot
Moonstruck
Obsession
Outhouse Delight
Red October

Restless Sea
Praying Hands
Silver Threads and Golden Needles
Sitting Pretty
Sweet Innocence

X-Rated

and Nancy for a friend

That should bring me to a total of 102 varieties.
Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,
Nice list you have there

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I got Fire Island less than a week ago. It was absolutely gorgeous....for one day....then our malamute slept the night on top of it :-( It's still alive but looks so bad. I'll have to wait till next year for it to look beautiful again. That area is now fenced off.

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Mooshka dug out a part in my newer garden and took out 2 new Heuchs, one of which I can't get anymore,,,,Bad Girl!

Molly,
At least you can look forward to it next year if that's any consolation. It might just perk up this year yet? One can pray,,,,,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.