Afraid of planting Monarda

Eureka, CA

Is anyone else afraid of planting BeeBalm directly into the ground? I have kept mine in a container for a few years, and recently purchased a few other varieties from Bluestone. I read some of the comments in plant files, and it sounds as if even though it spreads that it's manageable. Does anyone consider it invasive to the point they wished they never planted it? I'm hesitant to do it, but I recently tilled and enlarged an existing bed that needs "something", so I think I'll go for it. Any comments would be appreciated!

Sanna

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I dont have a control problem with it, but wait till you hear from someone in your zone.

Eureka, CA

Thanks ~ good idea!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Not sure about your zone, but for here it is a slow spreader. It does need to be divided(chopped off) if you want to keep it a smaller plant.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I know Plant Files has it marked as possibly invasive/weedy on some of the entries, but if you look at people's comments that they've put in, I looked at several of them and the only negative comments relate to powdery mildew, couldn't find anyone complaining about it being hard to control. Also if you have a named cultivar as opposed to a straight species those will usually tend to be better behaved (not always though).

Here's a reference that you can use to get a little info about invasiveness, I have no idea which species of Monarda you have, but on looking through a few of the entries here, M. fistulosa was the only one I saw that had any info about invasiveness, and it wasn't anywhere near CA.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch

There's a distinction though between invasive and aggressive, something that's invasive will escape cultivation and choke out native species, personally I think with our lack of summer rain I don't know that Monarda would survive in the wild. But in a garden setting where you're watering it, it could spread and maybe be aggressive. However, I think if it was a crazy spreader there would have been more negatives in the comments in Plant Files, so I think you're safe.

Eureka, CA

I'm thinking I'm okay.... also, it will be in an area that it would probably be okay to spread a bit. I appreciate everyone's comments! Looks like today might be the day to get it planted. It rained last evening, and today is overcast and misty. A good day for transplanting things.

Thanks again all!

(Zone 3b)

I planted three last year and have about 17 plants now. I think it is managable because it is easy to pull out and replant elsewhere.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I like the plant and so do the butterflies . I think the problem ,it runs , so never stays where you plant it . For me it usually shows up about 18'' from where it was last year . Wouldn't do in a formal setting but I have a chaos garden and don't mind .

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've found it's not nearly as thuggish as some plants. My clump has pretty much stayed put, but I think it's easy to pull out or mow over.

It's such a gorgeous plant, I couldn't imagine a garden without one.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

My monardas never do well. Not sure why? Maybe I just need to mark them better so they don't get weeded out by mistake, or weeded in by neglect! Do they prefer sunny lean dry conditions/ or the opposite?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Sannajane, You scared me for a minute there. I JUST planted BeeBalm directly into the ground and with your post I wondered if I had just made a BIG mistake! LOL... thanks to the rest of you I am feeling much more at ease!
Pat

Sandy, OR

I have this in my yard and wish it would spread more. I have divided an area but it is very easy to deal with. I'm in Oregon so I'm not sure what it may be different in CA

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

SannaJane, Yes, I have always avoided it for fear it would take over the world or something (the way people talk about it.) I read this thread and bought a couple mail order and they came yesterday. I am going to plant them, but am considering putting a bottomless plastic pot around them to contain them. Not sure yet.

Suzy

Eureka, CA

It's a "wait and see", as far as I'm concerned. I'm feeling positive/safe about it. We'll let you know!

I often plant containers/plants that I don't want the gophers to get to...... (though not bottomless). It's a good alternative. I know of those who do that with bamboo. Sounds to me like the Monarda isn't as bad as I had feared.

Sannajane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.