Row Covers

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All:

I've decided that I am not going to do battle with the Japanese beetles this year. Most of my beans are bush varieties which I am going to grow under row covers. Haven't seen any beetles yet but they have helped against the population explosion we have with rabbits this year. I am using the Agribon lightweight row cover.

Here's my question: Do I need to worry about heat buildup under the covers? We are expecting some days in the 90s.

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I would say no, BronxBoy, as long as you're using the lightweight stuff. It will get a few degrees warmer in there but I think beans can take it. Others will know more and can add their comments. I would be somewhat concerned about the beetles emerging from the soil under the row covers, and what about pollination of the bean flowers? Seems like it's always something. You might want to lift the covers off early in the morning when the pollinating insects are busiest, and again in the evening. The more I type the more I realize I have no idea about most of this, just about the original temperature question. I have used row covers on and off for a long time and they do keep in heat to some degree. Beyond that, the rest of my post was speculation. That never seems to stop me from posting. lol :-)

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Rose:

How's the drought been treating you?

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Terrible BB, It's dry, dry, dry here. I am watering a few things judiciously and hoping for the best. It must be the same for you. Nowhere in the northern half of the state has seen much rain that I know about. At least we're ahead of those poor folks in Northern Alabama. Come on rain!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have never had a problem when using the row covers. Mine usually only go over the eggplant and come off when they start to flower (flea beetles). Your beans will be fine - nice setup by the way BB. Every year more impressive down there.

-Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.