Anyone else unable to resist cobalt blue pots?

Delhi, IA

Along with dahlias and succulents I have a third weakness, cobalt blue pots (and fences). These looked ceramic until I thudded it with a finger in HD this pm. Actually is fiberglass and has a plug or can have a drainage hole so I think it will hold a last dahlia this summer, then come inside for winter filled with succulents, using the plug on the carpet. Anyway my newest theory when it comes to gardening is if you like it, buy it___even if you don't need it. Heck we only go around once so they tell me. They had it in 3 sizes but I took charge and only purchased one. Arriving at the car I explained to dh how frugal I had been in resisting the two larger sizes.

Had several vivid colors so if you are in "need" of a few pots, they are there.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Here are the two ceramic ones I bought last year. Boy has it been hard to keep from filling the larger one with plants so far this year. I have a water feature I want to use it for later this summer!!

Poochella will probably work on her new bed all summer. I have plans for a water feature and a lath house with my swing I bought 3 years ago hanging in it.

What is in the works for some of the rest of you? Gardening is never done you know. You will always see something else you want to try.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Chicago, IL

Very pretty, Jam. I have been so swamped with planting that I barely have time to do anything else. Dahlias took a long time to plant out. I have yet to finish planting out annuals. I am telling myself I will sow fewer seeds next winter.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That is a sharp pot Jean. I was busy this spring with a new bed and rearranging. The last real project I have is a smaller deck in the garden to build.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Uh oh - Sticks_n_Stones just send me over here cuz I'd mentioned my passion for blue pots in another thread!!! These are the ones on my deck and I have another terrific one, along with a cobalt blue birdbath in one of my flower beds.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm with Al, enlarging and redoing beds.

Love those cobalt pots, Jean. I have a few dahlia's left, perhaps I need to hit the store for a look a like.

Thumbnail by willow22552
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh, you guys. I only have one cobalt pot, bought this year, but I see will now need to get some more! Beautiful grouping!

Joanne

Not a very clear picture, but here's my blue pot and bird bath in my new rose garden (hopefully the climbing rose will eventually decide to climb the obelisk!).

And, yes, Joanne, go shopping for more blue blue blue pots!!!!

Thumbnail by Murmur
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice pots, you all.

I am not into blue so I can just admire everyone else.

Delhi, IA

Obelisk!! Mine's not out yet!! jam, get with it. Great show blue lovers!!

Edited to say I've eyed that birdbath but have resisted so far. Just somebody die, will you LOL. I play for funerals___going on 50 years__and have started buying something for my garden with their memory in mind with the 'take'. Don't we find silly reasons for garden purchases. Besides, dh will say but you already had a bird bath, Silly!

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 6:31 AM

Delhi, IA

Murmur, dh needs to see that if he thinks I've got a problem!! Simply beautiful!! Best sight this side of heaven!!

Eureka, CA

By the way, I love your pot "feet" in your deck photo! Way cool!

Thanks, all!

And, Jam, every yard needs at least four bird baths - and one of them needs to be blue (it's an unwritten, but fully understood, requirement of the birdies)!!! I love your blue fiberglass pot - good thing I haven't seen any or I'd probably have them as well. Obsessive? Nah.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful bright blues! Murmur what are those very bright blue flowers in the lower row, middle pot; and in another pot up and further right? Very pretty!

Jam, what's a 'lath house?'

Poochella, those are petunias and I don't know why they showed up blue in the photo - they are purple (and quite lovely, I might add). The color of the pots showed up true, but not those particular petunias.

Sannajane, glad you liked those silly pot feet - wish I could find some more of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oooo, that reminds me. I have a blue bird bath that I haven't set out. Cobalt blue ceramic bowl that sits on cast iron legs. Must go dig it out of the shed.....!

Grow_Jo, picture please!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here 'tis...

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Delhi, IA

And you forgot to put it out to admire!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Heh heh. I've kind of been distracted with a bazillion wintersowing seedlings. Trying to get them potted up and given away has been a full time job...

:)

Absolutely lovely, Grow_Jo - I'm glad you remembered it and have put it out to enjoy!

Delhi, IA

Poochella, To me a lath house will be a 6x8 or 6x10 outside room. The walls will be 1x1's placed about 10" apart. This will allow me to grow vines on the sides and over the top.(Honeysuckle, grape, clematis, etc. Then landscape the area outside with grasses, large rocks, sedums, and whatever my little old heart desires.
I bought a swing from the amish folks several years ago meant for this project. So the roof will have to have some pretty good weight-bearing beams. I'm talking pouring concrete around 4x4's for corners.
It's right across the driveway where the windmill use to be and will face my house bed so I can sit inside in my swing, sip lemonade and read, tat, or do nothing if I so choose. It will have to have electricity for music, but the yard light pole is within 5 feet of one corner, so no problem. Anyway, that's my vision. I collected old bricks from a relatives old brick home that was demolished and will brick a patch of the floor___as far as the brick will go. Completion date, September 1, 2007!!!! I hope.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, this isn't a dahlia, but I know how much you love these so I thought I'd post a shot of one of the pockets in my cobalt blue strawberry jar. It's getting full-on morning sun and is showing the perfect colors.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is fabulous stella! Love how the blue pottery brings out the color in the Echeveria (right?). Gorgeous!

Joanne

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks on the lath house explanation Jam. Your plans sound very soothing and welcome in any setting. I can feel the gentle breeze, practically! 'Lath' is a term I just missed out on somewhere. Sounds quite useful with climbers and we'll want photos when you get it done. I wonder if someone will develop a climbing dahlia some year?

Stella, that cannot be a real flower! It looks porcelain in its perfection.

spelling edit......

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 9:32 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm with GrowJo & Pitam -- Still planting. At this point, I am pretty much cursing these little Ws seedlings as I am planting them, but it is true that they *do* grow and get bigger :)) I haven't been to HD, Lowes or even the garden centers, but I did go to the little vegetable market to pick up more things to plant because I don't have enough of the right stuff. Right stuff being things that will bloom in 2007.

I found out tonight that we are on some sort of water restriction here because of the drought we're in...I need to find out more about it. This weekend it will be 95 degrees here...that's really hot for June!

Suzy

Delhi, IA

Stella, that is lovely. And in a blue strawberry jar!!! I debated on one of those this spring but wasn't into succulents enough to realize they would do well in it!!

Is it an echeveria? I'm still getting acquainted with those guys!!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 5:41 AM

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I needed to check for sure on the ID. I knew it was an echeveria but not sure which, though I had it labeled as Perle von Nurnberg. My IDs on these have been really spotty so I double checked. She says yes, but if it flowers yellow then it's Fred Ives.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Finally got a pix of my one cobalt blue pot. Must get more for sure...

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Delhi, IA

WOW, is that striking with the pansies!!

Gorgeous!

Aptos, CA

I am so inspired by your beautiful plantings using these cobalt pots, that I am now on a hunt for jade green and green pots...only have a few, but this is gonna be fun!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I picked up a couple more cobalt blue pots this weekend. No Dahlias in 'em this year, but next year for sure...

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

One more...

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Delhi, IA

Gee, the yellows and blues look sharp in the blue pot.

Delhi, IA

And sweet peas!! I tried them once but didn't succeed. Do want to try again.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I actually got a new blue multi-pot but haven't decided what I should put in it yet. I was thinking shade plants like heuchera and heliotrope and angel wing begonias, maybe a fern; I also have loads of succulents that could go in there. The problem is trying to second guess what I'm gonna like best in the new place I'll be living.....which I haven't found yet. But it's a cool pot, huh?

Thumbnail by stellapathic

Stella, i've seen that pot before and almost bought it, but didn't have enough cash with me at the time - I love it! I like your idea of heuchera, heliotrope, etc. (Those two are definite favorites of mine!).

Grow_Jo, marvelous combos!!! If Fred Meyer still has their pots on sale this weekend, I may pick some up like those. They were "buy two, get one free" and had that exact pot. I definitely do not get tired of the blue pots!

In this photo, the pot is almost lost because of the Hebe in front of it, but you still get the idea.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

jam, that blue-flowered plant that looks like sweet peas is Angelonia angustifolia 'Angelface Dresden Blue'. Pretty, eh? New one to me this year.

Stella - that multi-pot is too cool! Hope you post a pix once you get it planted.

Murmur - your pot is lovely too! Wow, two for one on the pots. I'd sure get some more...LOL

Joanne

Delhi, IA

Stella, your blue find looks super. And good sized. We are taking a bus trip next month and one of the stops is a pottery factory so I am hoping to find something else in blue that I can't resist.

Murmur, your blue or blue looks teriffic.

Grow_Jo, that's a completely new one to me. And I could almost smell the sweet peas!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.