Tiny aphid shaped bugs on snail vine blossoms and buds.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Anyone recognize these little critters? When I first spotted them, I gave them a quick shot of Sevin, but they're back in force, so I want to try to be sure of what they are....then I can be sure what will make them go away. :) They may actually be aphids, but if so, they're the tiniest I've ever seen.
Thanks!
Deb
(It was windy and hard to get a sharp photo.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

You're right, Deb - those are aphids. A direct hit with soapy water will take care of them. You'll probably have to repeat once in a while, because you'll miss a few and they reproduce faster than bunny rabbits. Just keep looking....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, looks like aphids to me too. There are all different sorts, some I'm sure are bigger than others and they come in all different colors too. I've found that the garden hose or some soapy water are just as effective against them as anything else, but you do have to keep after them. Especially if you have a bad infestation now, you may have to hit them for a couple days in a row to knock the population down a bit, then hit them again every couple of days for a while until it seems like they're all gone, then keep a close eye out and if you start to see them come back again in a week or two hit them again. They tend to find certain plants that they love and you'll have to be vigilant all season to keep them from coming back and re-establishing themselves. If you have ants on your plant too you may want to put out some ant bait, the ants will "farm" the aphids which protects them to some extent, so if you get rid of the ants the aphids are easier to get rid of.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks guys, I will be vigilant! :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.