Hydrangea's in zone 4-5?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am in Bend, Oregon ( zone 4-5)visiting family and there was at least 50 of these in 1 gallon pots at the local supermarkert, outside, for sale. I looked for a zone tolerance listed but not. No special directions. Are there some that tolerate this zone?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hydrangea macrophylla may make it in zone 5, but if it's a cultivar that blooms on old wood (the majority of cultivars are like this) then they won't have much luck with blooms since they'll get frozen off every year unless they pile leaves or mulch over them for protection (it should be noted that this doesn't stop nurseries, Home Depot, etc from selling the plants in places where they won't bloom unless they're protected for the winter and not mentioning that little detail to the poor victims who buy their plants). Newer cultivars like 'Endless Summer' that bloom on old and new wood will bloom in zone 5, I think they're only listed as hardy to zone 5 though so zone 4 may still be tough for them but I think they're all patented and more expensive so I'd be a bit surprised if they were at a supermarket. But it's possible. Hydrangea arborescens and paniculata bloom on new wood and are hardy to zone 4, maybe even 3 so if that's what they were then they'll also be fine. But those are more the sort of plants that you'll find at a garden center rather than a supermarket, so if I had to put money on it, I'd say it's one of the old-wood blooming macrophyllas.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thank you ecrane3! I am niave in that I was surprised a plant that needs VERY SPECIAL treatment was being sold w/o any comment.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, places like supermarkets, Home Depot, even probably some nurseries don't know enough about plants to know that special instructions might be required. Or sometimes they sell plants that are just plain inappropriate for the climate no matter what special treatment you give the plant they'll never survive outdoors year round. Good thing many of those sorts of places offer 1 yr warranties or lifetime warranties on their plants, that way when you discover that the plant wasn't appropriate for your climate you can at least get your money back. Supermarkets probably don't do that though.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You could grow them in containers/pots if you want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.