Snowball tree turning colors, HELP

Edinburg, IL(Zone 6a)

What is causing this young tree to turn different colors?

Thumbnail by eden100
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

This one doesn't look like a problem to me, I've seen plants where the leaves will get a little purplish color on them for various reasons, sometimes it was exposure to cold, sometimes due to amount of sun exposure, things like that. Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

ecrane is very possibly correct. Is this a recent planting, with new foliage? Watch it and see.

Another thing I recommend (again) is a soil test, since you have so many plants doing this.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It looks like you have a young viburnum there, eden. V. trilobum and V. opulus look very similar and are difficult to differentiate, but they both behave this way especially on younger newer growth of leaves.

This coloration can also be symptomatic of some drought stress, if you have had some excessively dry period and a limited root system on a young plant. Agree with ecrane's notes, as these plants can also demonstrate this coloration under intense sun even when moist.

I see you have a moisture meter available; keep your plant in that middle range and you should do OK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.