What the heck is this gray scale???? It looks terrible!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have ants and aphids. I am SO frightened. I only see the scale on my LARGEST hibiscus. 8..(

I have apids on my hibiscus and one of them has only ever bloomed ONE time. Help me please.

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

help

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, soapy water will get rid of the aphids (you'll need to keep reapplying as they reappear) - it dessicates their little bodies. But the other is a baaaad case of scale. Personally - I'd toss that plant and start over. Scale is just plain difficult to get rid of. And even when it dies, it stays on the plant. If this plant is just too special and you just have to keep it, try spraying with horticultural oil, and repeat every 7 to 10 days. It suffocates the crawlers that emerge from under those scales when the eggs hatch, and they hatch at different times. Follow directions. There is a temperature at which you don't use it or it will burn the plant (I think 85 degrees, but not sure...read the label) I'd still toss and start fresh.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 10:45 AM

Another thought. You could cut that hibiscus way back (it blooms on new growth), and spray what is left. That would be a heck of lot easier. Or toss it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Well this is the deal....I cut back the scale covered limbs. I am spraying for scale once a week with volck oil. and I am spraying with (dish)soap spray every 3-4 days. That's my plan now anyway.

I checked over each limb on the hibiscus thoroughly. My plan of action is to keep searching for scale on the plant and if I see one on any of the remaining branches I will scrape it off. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. It's a BEAUTIFUL hot pink double-skirted poodle tip. I love it. I know it's probably very garden variety but I just think it's so pretty.

Watch the temperatures. That stuff will burn your plant above a certain temperature. It will tell you on the container.....
Good luck. I hope it works out well for you.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you should be using a light summer oil, not volck this time of year. that's a dormant, winter spray. of course, maybe your approach is the best way seeing how bad the scale is. those things just give me the creeps.

Volk also makes a summer oil, and I just presumed that was what she was using....
Is that what you're using, dangitgirl?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes I am using the volck summer oil. I only spray at 7 to 7:so. Earlier than that is too hot later than that is to mosquito-full! LOL

My poor plant has definately been trimmed back. It's only normal sized now >8..I It was HUGE! Huge=3 ft tall......young garden.

Sounds like you're doing it right...........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.