Chipmunks

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

The chipmunks are digging up my potted plants, they even dig up tulip & daffodil bulbs. Some of the potted plants were just planted, so I don't think they are looking for grubs. They seem to like potted dahlias the best. How can I get rid of them?

Thanks

Gary

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

lol

Great idea' I havent used mine in about 30 years. I think I will have it tuned up and go to war.

Gary

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

well...might try a air gun...b-b gun...the 22 will blow your pots away....lol..I know we feel the same way...cute little guys..but they can cause..you troubles for sure...One year..we got 53...about three years ago...and this year..we are back at it...soooo...you will learn to be a good shot....they just will not stop...

smiles..Diana...

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

How about Liquid Fence....It really works......

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Liquid Fence

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The neighbor started a war with the chipmunks and shot a few and trapped a few. He had over 50 last year. This year none, until the other day. I saw 4 out there this morning. So the only thing I can figure is that burying them turns them into a chipmunk bush and the next year tons more bloom!
p.s. a 17 cal works great. BB gun does not alway get them and you could just injure them. I have a very, very good BB gun, but perfer the 17.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

yes I know..BB guns...do not finish them off...but..hubby...goes and does the rest...not 100%...but sure does help..too bad because they are really cute...guys...lol...sad...for sure...they should learn to stay away..lol....I wish...

smiles..Diana... ps...we live on a Private Lake...and we can not shoot...17 or 22...one blast...and the police would be here..in a flash...hey these people...even like geese...to come on their lawns...ekkkkkk..that is a messs too...(and they feed them) oh my......

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Why do they feed the geese. They like the mess on the lawns? LOL

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

They must....and wowow...they come up and eat the flowers too...so many you would not believe...crazy people out there..

smiles..Diana

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

A good Terrier will give them merry chase. The rodents, NOT the geese. !!!!

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 3:49 PM

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 3:50 PM

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We have a few chipmunks running around our yard also. Have you ever heard there "stay away" cry? Boy I didnt know they were so loud. They clean up the bird food on the ground. They really havent been distructive though. I will keep my eyes opened. ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hahahaha, They sure are loud! I sometimes watch them "chip" and yell. It is amazing that much noise can come out such a little body. When I walk in the woods with the dog, they will yell and taunt him. It is so funny to see the dog rooting around a stump, while the chipmonk is on a tree laughing at him.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i got rid of mine with a .410

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

caught a ton in a rat trap. I know that sounds inhuman, but they cause so much destruction here. They dig up everything and make an awful mess. I couldn't mind a couple, but we have way too man. Cat brought up a headless one on Sunday....nice kitty.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Seems like the more that we get rid of, the more we have. There are a ton of them in the woods, that is ok....but by the house! Ugh!

Au Gres, MI

I suspect one factor in my growing chipmunk population is that I feed the birds regularly. I now see these little "chippies" sitting right on the thistle feeder and dining for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Does anyone know any type of bird seed they WON"T eat ?

Also, I am prepared to use live traps with my crew and re-locate them. Any idea of how far I need to take them so they won't find their way home ? (ie, 1/4th mile,1/2 mile, next state over ?)

just don't drop them off at my house!!

DH just bought a live trap today...it's all set just waiting for the next stinker

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Does anyone know any type of bird seed they WON"T eat ?

Sugar water!!

Yes, I only feed the hummingbirds and orieoles now. I used to feed all the birds and spent a small fortune on woodpecker cakes and suet along with sunflower seeds and thistle for the finches. I had tons and tons of birds to watch. We loved it. We also had all kinds of unwanted critters up by the house. There were possums and mean raccoons, rabbits and skunks and squirrels and God only knows what else came in at night to feed. I'm sure all kinds of vermin and mice etc. I decided enough was enough and took down all the feeders except the hummingbird feeders and no more problems.

I have two little dogs and I was afraid one night I'd let them out to potty and some raccoon would get into it with them and hurt them. Now, with all the talk of bird flu and such I decided I just didn't want to feed the birds any more. It makes a mess and I have a brand new deck I don't want the birds using for a toilet. My dogs were aways attracted to the bird poo too. Yuck!

Anyway, that is the only bird food I know of (sugar water) that won't attract mice and other unwanted animals to the feeders. I figure I plant lots of flowers and the birds can have all the worms they want and bugs. :)

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree, the seed brings in alot more than birds. This time of year, I don't think we even need to feed them, but we still do. We have a wild garden, that has berry bushes, weed seeds, cherry trees, etc, that the birds love to eat. The birds still go for the "free" stuff first. Because of coon, DH takes in the feeders at night. Last night, he took them in and an oriole flew in and did a double take, seeing an empty spot where his grape jelly should be. He flew from this spot to another, trying to see what was not there, then to a cherry tree to fill up on cherries.
I wonder if we are really doing any good, feeding when food is plentiful.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

When your husband brings the feeders in at night aren't you afraid he's bringing ants and other bugs into the house? Or, is he bringing them into the garage or something?

chipmunk trap just caught one....Hooray..

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

hehehe...bugs and critters...yahoo...I know...I kknow..they are so cute...tonight I sat on our deck...and a widdle guy was down there..had the air...bb gun...oppps..I missed..lol...maybe next time..I say...lol. You know..when..you work so hard..to plant..and make things nice..and that little critter..come along..my god...we are old..he is young...leave stuff alone...there is so much other things..for them to eat...and do...just leave our stuff along..lo.....well missed this time...but we are are watching..lol..

smiles...happy night..Diana..

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

7 today and that brings the count up to about 20 for the week.

holey moley....you have a ton there!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, he takes the feeders into the garage. It seems to save alot of lost seed and broken and lost feeders.
I think most people would be surprized how many of the little critters are really out there. You usually only see 3 or 4 at a time, but if you shoot them, tomarrow there are 3 more. It adds up. When you are having problems, usually means you have hundreds. That is no longer cute....but creepy!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Got the little mister a new air rifle with a scope now he thinks hes a hit man I'v never seen as many as I have this year there every where and into every thing I 'v seen the damage thay can do when thay get in or under your house its awful. I think there cute way out in the woods where thay belong.
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

If you go visiting around our neighborhood, you will find a screen missing in at least one window and a bb gun discreetly leaning near the window.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

we have bait piles on the edge of the field quik lil buggers.
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Quick? You should see them disapear when you crack that window.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

he props the door open or sits on the porch with his coffee It's to funny to watch I think he needs a hobby since he retierd.
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Role as protector of the house. Good job I would say.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Good thinking I'll remember that the next time he dumps coffee allover trying to get a good shot and not laugh so hard
Gloria

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

This is my third full summer in this house and it is the first time I have seen a chipmunk around. I was thrilled to see the cute little guys this spring, but then the little buggers ate every single one of my stawberries just before they were ripe enough for me to pick them. There are so many this year that I just do not understand where they were the past couple years. Does anyone know if my tomatoes are also going to get eaten by them?
Serena

Serena
The little critters love tomatoes. I put little fences around mine. I also thinned out my chipmunk population using a live trap.

Gary

near Alpena

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I thined out mine with a .2o air rifel worked good.
Gloria

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

Gary,
Thanks for the heads up, I have a lot of very healthy green tomatoes, so I am off to the hardware store for fencing or netting or something. I don't think I am capable of shooting them. thanks again,
Serena

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I read somewhere to put milorganite in the areas chipmunks were bothering. Since I couldn't keep a pot intact or impatiens in the ground because the chippies were continually digging them out, I tried it, and so far (three weeks in) it is working. No new excavations where I sprinkled the milorganite, and just as many chipmunks out there. No idea how long it will last, but I've watered heavily and so far, so good.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I used to think they were cute too. But after years of battle I found I can use the bb gun and shoot them. It is quite a challenge, but it does thin the herd down a little.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.