Training a climbing plant

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I received my Harlequin Honeysuckle in the mail yesterday. It looks good and healthy. Now for the planting.
My question is.....
I am planting it in front of the bird house post. This is a 4x4 that is about 8 feet tall.
How should I support it as it climbs?
Do you wrap it around the post with twine, or I have seen string run from top to bottom (like you do with tomatoes)?
I never grown a honeysuckle so I don't know if it twines or needs to be supported.
OK gang, I'm sitting on my mat, wagging my tail, and ready to learn!
Chuck

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Chuck. I have no idea. I just had to respond because I love your posts...jan

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Chuck - it is a twining vine so it likes to twist around things. As mine grew I just kept twirling it around the supports - in my case one trellis and one arbor. You can use twine to give it more things to wrap around, especially if it's multi-stemmed. Anything along those lines should work, though I've never tried it on a post like that.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

What about wraping the post loosely in bird or deer netting and letting the vine find it's own way up?

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I do have an old WW2 cargo net I could use. Only problem is that would mean that Uncle Ernie would be loose again!
Nah, the cargo net is out.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm not so sure about that since Honeysuckle gets very woody. I am doing that with a Clematis but since it's a group 3, it will never get overly woody.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Anyone grow thumbergina? What do I need to know?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Chuck, I use those velco strips. They don't hurt the plant and can be moved easily. Not sure how they would work on uncle ernie.
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=1298&ss=velcro

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.