Japanese *#(*&%# Beetles!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I had very few Japanese Beetles last year, but there's been some kind of population explosion this year. So far, I've caught them on my astilbe, roses, cannas, and now my peach tree!!

I keep grabbing the spray-on Sevin, but does anyone have suggestions for something more "preemptive" or even preventative?
What's the best defense against these little monsters?

Thanks,
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Anna Maria Island, FL(Zone 9b)

When I lived IN PA, I learned very quickly NOT to utilize the 'traps', as they call them.
All they do is lure even MORE JB's to your yard and precious plants.
What I opted to do was to take a large plastic measuring container (10 cup size), fill it with hot water and add a few drops of DAWN.
I'd nuke it for a minute or two to get the water boiling, then head out to my gardens.
Ya just knock'm right into the container and they kick almost instantaneously.
No chemicals...plus you get real personal with your plants...LOL

Frankfort, KY

What you need to do is rid your yard of grubs which mature into J. Beetles. I have my yard treated every summer. Lellie is correct about the traps. They only attract more. BTW, if you have a large crop of JBs, you usually have moles because they feed on the larva. The treatment solves both problems. If the moles have nothing to eat, they will leave your property.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Aha! Grubs! That makes alot of sense. Late last summer and since spring this year, I've been using castor oil spray to get rid of the moles. We've had only a few moles as a result, compared with the "praerie dog town" we used to have in our lawn. That could explain why suddenly this year I'm seeing more JB's than ever before. I drove away their natural predators. The law of unintended consequences illustrated! :)

If I just go to Lowe's or similar, will there be something labelled for treating for grubs? Any suggestions for a particular product.

This DAWN solution sounds like the most fun immediate intervention. Very cathartic!
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OMG - today I found them eating my Knockout roses, and the new growth on my crape myrtles and wisteria!

Do they have a limited life span? I mean, can expect them to dimininish in number at some point? Or am I going to be on beetle watch the entire summer!?

Deb

This message was edited Jun 11, 2007 7:35 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Quick reply: Spreading Milky Spore is said to control the grubs, but it takes some time. Also, "Four O'Clocks" (mirabilis) are said to kill Japanese beatles. I don't have time to find the links right now, but suggest that you do a search on both to get more info. Good luck.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Wrightie!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.