Acorn squash volunteer, when to pick?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I didn't plant squash, but must've had seeds in my compost, so I've got plants popping up here and there. I let a few of them continue growing because they looked so healthy and vigorous, and one of them seems to be an acorn squash. I've only grown summer squashes in the past, so I don't know anything about growing the thicker skinned squash. How long should you leave them on the vine when they look ripe, do you pick them right away and store them? Dumb question I know, but you don't generally eat "winter" squash in the summer, so does that mean they stay on the vine til fall, or you pick them and store them til then?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The acorn can be used as a summer squash. Not that tasty tho. For use as a winter squash, wait until the skin is hard, too hard to dent with a fingernail. I usually wait till fall to pick them, but they can be picked earlier as long as they are mature.

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks FarmerDill. It won't hurt the squash to stay out there in the sun and the heat all summer? I think I remember my dad picking the winter squash in time to avoid the first frost back when I lived in CT (which back in the 60's usually meant mid-September).

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

When the vine dies exposing it to the sun, you would need to pick it. They are susceptible to the squash vine borer.

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks again Farmer Dill!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.