Have the Pink Diamond Hydrangea

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi,

New to gardening and wondering about one of the Hydrangea's I planted last year. I planted a Pink Diamond Hydrangea "Grandiflora" right next to my house. It is doing well and has just about doubled in size. Wondering if I made a mistake planting it so close to my house. How big do these get? I moved another type of Hydrangea a few weeks ago that was pretty small and it died so I am nervous about moving this one.

Thanks for the Help
Mel

Arlington, TN(Zone 7a)

Mel,
?Paniculatas often get very large. 8-10 feet tall and wide is not unusual. ?
Unlike PeeGee, which can grow to 20 tall, Pink Diamond is more refined and probably will stay under 10 feet tall. It has 4-inch long deciduous leaves and a rounded, much-branched form giving the plant an overall coarse texture. Huge white flower heads 12 inches long and 8 inches across appear from mid-July through mid-August. ??Individual florets on these heads grow to 1 1/2 inches across. As the flowers age they turn a wonderful rich pink. By the time frost arrives, the sepals on the inflorescence will have turned tan colored.?
With the return of the bold-is-beautiful style of landscaping, Pink Diamond should fit right into our modern landscape themes. It is probably best used as a specimen shrub much as crape myrtle is planted. It could be used as a background planting in a mixed border or even as a mass planting in the large landscape. It blooms best in full sun but will tolerate light shade. Unlike most hydrangeas, it has good drought tolerance, but bloom size will be reduced under drier conditions.

As for transplanting it, you better wait for fall. H. Paniculatas, H. Quercifioila and all H. arborescens do not transplant well right now.

Wolfgang?

Thumbnail by wooffi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.