Blown away by this bloom...what is it?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Found this forming in the shade house the other day (a euphemism for an old chicken coop with a jade vine growing over it for shade and some metal roofing in it for benches...) and today it reached its full glory!!!

Anyone know what it is? The bloom is about 6-8" in diameter.... this is where I stick plants to grow out before being planted...and it is a population of un named un tagged plants. Disorganized? me?

Anyone else bless every moment in our gardens????? Aren't they full of surprises???

Carol

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe Haemanthus multiflorus?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2440/index.html

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hey Carol, How's the back....
It looks like what we called powderpuffs in Colorado....haven't seen any out here. I'm gonna look at ecrane3's link....

Hey....I guessed right!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It must be hardy!!! Suddenly it appeared in the shade house with all its' beautiful bloom!!!! never knew it was there!!! Thanks so much for the ID...now I shall plant it and hope it multiplies!!!!!

Carol

This message was edited Jun 7, 2007 6:45 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They are indeed hardy and they do tend to just pop up when and where you least expect them to. And, it does multiply. Hooray for you, what a wonderful find.

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

it has actually been reclassified as Scadoxus multiflorous, (african blood liliy).
Don't you just love those botanist?

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz

I just HATE it when that happens. :-))) What's with these botanists????

Liz, it that your nursery? It looks like the kind of place I want to visit. How far are you from Jacksonville?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Liz, that is beautiful! I love all the trees in the background - looks like a botanical garden area.....just gorgeous.

Carol - now you have lots of names for your mystery bloom! :-)

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes ma'am that's our nursery, I actually have an AOL photo album that I send people...hint hint :-) We are about 2 hours from Jacksonville. We just had somebody come here from Jacksonville. They came for blueberry plants and ginger and left with something extra, 2 blood lilies..lol
I'd love to have you come and visit. Summer through fall is when you'll see the most color.
You can email at
liz@gingerlandtropicals or
leneobrien@aol.com
The album will come from the AOL addy.
Well, it's off to Punta Gorda tomorrow, right after we load the truck and trailer. I've been printing photos and new signs all day. Needed to stop for a minute and just have some fun here.
Liz

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love your nursery!! Wish you were closer so I could visit!!

I just checked and guess what, I have a Scadoxus multiflorous blooming myself! Learning that name is going to take a bit of practice.

Baton Rouge, LA

Really cool bloom, looks like something out of a Dr Suess book.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well - it sure SOUNDS like something from Dr. Suess:
I will not pick my Scadoxus blossom
Not in my pink socks, not with a possum
I will just enjoy my pretty Scadoxus
While drinking my yummy rum on the rockus.

Good grief! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL!!! I like it :-)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I love those blood lilies Liz. When I was down in the fort walton beach area, a few years ago, we looked everywhere for nurseries. Couldn't find any anywhere. Not sure how far you are from that area. but you have a beautiful nursery. I would have went nuts if I had found your place.

Baton Rouge, LA

That's great Shari, and Kathy don't feel bad about not being able to find nursuries in Ft Walton FL. My wife is from there and her mother and sister will come to Baton Rouge to shop for plants! There are 1 or 2 that are open seasonally but they say that the H.D. has the best selection there. I guess I am fortunate to have aleast 10 good nurseries (not counting the box stores) within 15 miles of my home. Although I do not buy from them very often as I have most of the things that they carry that I want already. It is nice sometimes to check them out for new ideas and sometimes they surprise me with something new in stock.

Lance

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank yo very much, we love it here. Richard has been out on south side are adding another garden! We have actually had a few Kaempferia hybrids that have come into full color this year. Added a few new gingers, a new Calathea villosa, even an arrowroot plant to the collection, thanks to Jim Conyers and John Banta.
Here is picture of one of our Kaempferia crosses, still have to name it.
Liz

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

beautiful!!!

Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Last year, I got one bulb from my mother in St. Vincent (West Indies) and two weeks ago two of those gorgeous flowers appeared.

It runs rampant in my mother's garden and are a delight when they just pop their heads up with no prior notice. The leaves appear AFTER the flower has died. They only bloom once a year June into early July and the flower lasts for about one week.

It keeps multiplying over the years. Enjoy.
I have now added it's real name to my database that I am building along with pictures. We call it ascension lily (it just shoots out of the ground).

Victoria BC, Canada(Zone 9a)

Thanks for sharing the photos. Your nursery looks wonderful. I would be in heaven to be able to shop there.
What is the name of the ginger you post. I love that one. Please send me the link to your photos would love to browse.
By the way your gingers are all coming up and I can't wait for blooms this year. We have had a very cool spring so things are slow and behind.

Thanks

Bea

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

Howdy Miss Bea,
Glad to hear your gingers are coming up nicely. Our Scadoxus and gingers were all about a month behind because of our strange spring evening temps.
Preparing for talk I'm giving in August at Mercer Arboretum in Texas, wish you could be there for moral support :-)
Liz :-)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Liz, what is that flower?? It is gorgeous!!!!

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

Curcuma rhabdota 'Candy Cane'. Name is bigger than the plant..lol
The inflorescence looks like a candy cane, hence the name. The blooms are a beautiful lilac color. I love them,not big, but pretty!

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

close up, but not as close up as the first picture

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

They are just incredible! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

You're quite welcome ma'am. I love taking pictures of my flowers and mt critter :)
I have an AOL photo album that I can send you if you'd like. Just email me at leneobrien@aol.com or Liz@GingerlandTropicals.com and say 'Liz, send me those ginger pictures'
Here is a picture I took today (on the 4th) of Kaempferia grande, Kaempferia rotunda 'Raven' and Zingiber zerumbet variegata 'Darcyi'
Liz

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure how close/far some of you are from Houston Texas versus north central Florida, but August 10th and 11th I will be at Mercer Arboretum. Friday evening I will hive 45 minute talk on 'Gingers in the Landscape'. Saturday they have a plant sale and we were also asked to bring gingers and some of their companion plants to sell.
We leave Thursday the 9th and drive for 14 hours and then we'll leave sometime Sunday the 12th and drive back for 14 hours.... I can't wait to see their ginger garden, it's supposed to be really nice. We're going to bring as many different varieties as we are able to fit into a 16' horse trailer and the back of an 8' pick-up (with a camper top). I should be able to load over 60 different gingers, along with the other plants we're bringing.
I just hope I come across semi-intelligent...

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Liz, your pictures are great! Thanks for sharing!
You must be an expert to have been asked to give a talk at Mercer Arboretum, best of luck with your project!
Aloha
Jenny

Victoria BC, Canada(Zone 9a)

Liz I would be there in a heart beat if it were not so far:) Your plants are just gorgeous and I now have more on my wish list. That C. candy cane is so very pretty.You are such an enabler and a wonderful one at that. I loved looking through your album and have made a few more picks from there too.

Bea

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.