What's my name???

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Howdy friends! Got a puzzler for ya. Nina and I each have one of these lovelies. They are about 3-4 ft tall, with light green speckled leaves, and mine is now blooming. Have no clue as to what they are. Gonna post this here, but will also post in Plant ID....just to keep my hand in the miriad other forums that DG blesses us with.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe this one--Pseuderanthemum atropurpureum?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/20895/

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic of the leaves:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You are QUICK! I'm not sure about that. I have several PFE's and the leaves are much darker - with actual purple on them. This one is totally different. Very pale leaves...I'd say spring green.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

No.... you were right. It is an Pseuderanthemum! Not the false purple - but one called El Dorado or Golden Net. Girl - you are good!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You guys are amazing....you and so many of the others. I have visions of you sitting there with one of those whiz/bang id programs like they use for fingerprints and DNA....so very cool. Thanks again.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Cool! Glad you got it figured out. I sort of wonder if that one pic that I linked to is actually in the correct Plant Files entry, I noticed that a lot of the other pics with that one the flower looked a lot pinker, but I figured that flower looked so much like yours it would at least get you on the right track. And no, there's no fancy computer system, just an obsession with plants and a good memory to remember when I've seen something before! At least for me, maybe the whizzes in the ID forum have the cool computer program!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Would be nice to have, huh?

Quezon City, Philippines

HI!

I was reading about Stephanotis Floribunda from your site. I have some plants in my garden. I am wondering if there is a way to force flower them. instead of waiting for the season when they bloom.

Thank you.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Mchua! I don't know about forcing them. In your climate (I assume hot and humid), they should flower continuously. You might have more luck finding an answer about the forcing by posting your question as a new thread in this forum. Just click on Tropical Gardening and scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see how to post a new question. More people will see it if it isn't buried in a pre-existing thread. I hope this helps you. If not, post again here and I will try to help.

Shari

Laie, HI

Pseuderanthemum carruthersii var.reticulatum. Yes related to all the other Pseuderanthermums of different colored leaves.....but with similar flowers. Often called Elderado but there is another similar yellow plant out there with smalller leaves that also gets called that. I usually hear it refered to as Pseuderanthemum reticulatum. Aloha

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

mchua- I was in Quezon last March - on Palawan, right? - had a super time!!! Beautiful area!!!

About forcing a Stephanotis...don't know that it can be done, especially since you all should be in your Monsoon season now, right? Does your Stephanotis bloom when it is dry?...

Carol

Laie, HI

It seems like I read an article some time ago about experimenting with lights at night on stephanotis to make them bloom out of season. Maybe somebody else knows something about this. Aloha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.