Do I HAVE to bring them in??

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Gloriosa Lily
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/607/index.html

Has anyone left out a gloriosa lily over winter?
Has it come back?
Have you left it out and it absolutly died?

The answer still might not make me bring them in, but I am curious if they even have a chance.
This is my first time growing them, and the buds are just about to open.

chris

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Chris,

I sort of have a gloriosa lily. I planted in the ground several years ago. It comes up very late in the season but hasn't bloomed in years. I keep meaning to dig it up and give it to someone in a warmer climate - just my experience, mind you. I might be doing something else wrong also.

Brenda

LOL, thanks Brenda. Well that gives it a slight chance of survival then. I really doubt that I will dig them up. I wonder if messenger or fertilizer would help them bloom.
chris

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have mine in pots that i can stick into the green house once it dies down. mine is blooming very vwell in the pot. for me the reason i bring it in is our winters are usually rainy and bulbs and tbers tend to rot.

maybe it likes to be root bound.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I've never gotten it to bloom either. I think our season is too short.

Ok, well it seems like they will probably survive, so I will leave them in ground and hope for the best. I will also plant additional ones in pots next year so I can cut them back and leave in garage to overwinter. I will try some spring fertilizer when and if I see new growth on these that I am leaving in ground.

Thanks for the help everyone,
chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.