pine bark nuggets vs. straw mulch?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi

I am interested in getting feedback on the relative merits of pine bark mini-nuggets vs. pine straw mulch. We've been using the mini-nuggets every year, and I'm happy with them in perennial beds, etc. But my husband and I have a running argument about which is better for shrubs (I think the straw is better; he likes mini-nuggets for everything). With the drought situation, I'm thinking of adding more mulch to mature, already well-established shrubs. What are y'all's thoughts?

Thanks.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think the nuggets last longer but aren't good for slopes. Straw goes further but disappears after a year or two. I've switched to cypress mulch since it locks in place pretty good (it seems to hold pretty good on slopes) and it doesn't rot as fast as bark or straw. I usually go get 20 bags at a time. I checked out a place that does bulk but they seemed higher in cost than the bags at HD. Hard to believe that bulk would be higher.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you know if the termites like cypress mulch? I have heard they dont like pine or cedar but I havent heard about cypress. I wonder if my landscape place (Walker's) carries it.
chris

Saint Simons Island, GA

kator: i started out using pine nuggets (i didn't want to use cypress as they are cutting in the everglades to get it). the nuggets looked good but over a year they seemed to move all over and i found it hard to weed them without replacing some or all of it. i don't like pine straw although it stays in place it gets wet underneath which can encourage mold. this summer i was told by a landscape architect to get "brown fine pine mulch." i found some, swanee pine mulch from florida,at the local ace nursery here. i am replacing the nuggets with it and it looks so much neater, it is a finely ground so for protection from the heat you might have to use more. dooley worth

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Pine bark mulch if good for areas that need to have acidity but it does float. I use cypress mulch because it looks good, does the clay soil some good as it decomposes slowly. If you have gully-washers like we do you definitely do not want pink bark mulch. I would love to be able to buy, cheaply, some pine straw that was cut so that it doesn't pack. Cypress mulch is very cheap. Cotton seed and mushroom mulch are much favored but pricey. If you can stand the looks of it, the ground up rubber mulch is gaining in favor here by people who don't know any better and don't understand that all kinds of things grow under there. They like the idea that it doesn't decompose! I call that twaddle. But these people are not really gardeners. They want to do something once and never have to do it again. I guess for them it is ok but I want something that WILL decompose over time.

Ann

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Rubber mulch is so expensive that it is prohibitive ($15 a bag) for mulching large areas (even if it doesn't rot). It would probably be great for a kid's play area. I will stick with cypress mulch for now. They used to have eucalyptus mulch since it was becoming a weed tree in FL but I haven't seen it lately.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

woo - lots of opinions so I'll add mine too.

My observations: pine straw just does NOT hold the water - the mini-bark, about 2" deep, will keep the ground from drying out so fast. The regular size pine bark will float and does not hold the water as well as the mini. Yes, the mini-nuggets do rot faster and yes, you have to put on more every year. BUT you don't have to water all the time.

Even with a good layer of pine mini-nuggets, my full sun area is drying too fast this year. I feel like I am watering the world with a tea cup...

Sterling

Cordele, GA

The mini pine mulch is good to break up heavy clay soils as well. As it decomposes the earth worms will work it into the clay. I use a combination of pine straw, courtesy of my trees, and cypress. I like the pinestraw decomposing into my sandy soil. Any additional humus is a help.

As to termites, I haven't found a wood yet that they refuse, unless it is chemically treated.

Beth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.