Bead craft of my aunt

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

While my grandmother and mother were crafty in other things - I shared in separate threads - my spinster paternal aunt (passed on in 1989) had her own talent, despite a poor eyesight. I think talent is also handed down generations. She lived with us -as you would expect in joint families, spent her time learning the musical stringed instrument Veena and also teaching to other young girls at home till she died in '89, aged 54. She was our favourite, and to others also. My mother and she had set a great example of harmony among SILs and some known families even quote it! Her loss was great to my mother as they went together to most places. She had skills of her own doing many things, but not cooking much. She used to make bags, do crafts like with the beads, different objects. Here is a hand purse with a lovely design, my favourite. It must be about 30 years old. It is in the showcase. I'll post a few more of her works as this thread goes on. I still picture how she did with such a poor eyesight. She would hold the bead with the left hand to as close as 3-4 inches from the eye (it was that poor!) and put the needle in the little hole. The purse here is about 8 inches wide. And the end quality was so good. I have seen other ladies' work in exhibitions (where they compete), but the works were so very loosely strung compared to my aunt's. She did not compete.

Thumbnail by Dinu
This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!