My front door containers with old soil and left over plants

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I have never changed the soil in these containers since buying them about four years ago. About a month ago, I ripped the pansies out, added some osmocote, and then some planttone after a recent thread.

All of these plants were grown from seed, except the dusty miller. The coleus leaves are larger than my hands, and I have large hands.

This first picture is the right hand side facing the door

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Another view of the same container.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The hanging planter with the first one behind it.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Planters down the right hand side of the steps.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The left hand side

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Close up of the larger planter

Claremont, NC

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I wish I had the talent to make such beautiful arrangements.

Sandi

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Final planter hanging on the left side.

These planters have geraniums, coleus, ponytail grass, black eye susan vines, dusty miller, and marigolds. They should really look nice when all the flowers begin to bloom

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Princess, I just used the plants that were left over. I planted a lot of seeds this spring.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Lovely! And how industrious you must feel, using what you had on hand to make such beauties.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Some updated photos. I've had to pinch the coleus back several times, because they grow faster, and larger than everything else.

This is the front door, with Champ on duty. Large azaleas on the sides

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Right hand side of the door. The geraniums are now in bloom, plus black eye susan vines, dusty miller and two type of coleus.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Left hand side

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Right hanging pot on rail.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Smaller pots on the steps. Marigolds are merrily blooming

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Other rail planting.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

More shots of the stairs planters

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Last shot. All of these plants cost under $10 since everything but the dusty miller was grown from seed.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Great job. Makes your entryway so welcoming and cheerful!

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice job. I also like to use what I have on hand.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Fabulous pots, penne!

And can't believe the good luck/skill you have with seed sowing!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Tabasco, I'm ashamed to say how many plants I have just let wither and die because I didn't have "the right place" for them or I had too many of them. I still have plants in their seedling containers that need a home.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Pennefeather - you've done many wonderful things with your plants. Each one is grand.

I have a lot waiting for the ideal spot, too. Don't fret. Many people just don't mention the ones that have perished: too painful to think about.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL, isn't that the truth. I was just out back in a little (shady) garden pulling 'weeds' that I'm sure were once teeny tiny seedlings that I had spent the winter fretting over...but now there are no planting spots available but deep shade and they are languishing with no sun...

Keep posting your pics! Your front doorway garden looks very cheery and I'll look for it next time I'm in DC!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Here's a scary question: What is killing the japanese beetles?

I'm not complaining, especially since they are eating all of my roses, but almost every morning I find dead beetles in these planters. I'm wondering if the geraniums or perhaps the marigolds are the culprits (I think that marigolds are repellants for some type of bugs).

I usually find the dead beetles, belly up in the geraniums.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Geraniums are responsible. It's a blessing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.