Clematis Kermesina

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The camera captured this as a purple but it is actually a very deep red. (the bloom behinf the first one shows true color)

Thumbnail by se_eds
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

That's pretty....the flower looks huge.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very Pretty...how old is yours?..I bought one from Debbie and Planted this Spring..it is growing but no blooms yet...my leaves seem much smaller than yours...Jeanne

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Jeanne, Was planted last August. I understand that it the type where you really have to hack it down in the spring. The leaves are larger sized and blooms size suffers as we are under drought conditions. I punched a small hole a hole in a gallon milk jug and set it over the roots every other day on top the peat moss, until we get some sustained rains. It is on a slope and water from a hose doesn't really sink in.

Perhaps when it is more developed ( next year) I can just hose water it. I am fairly new t clematis and don't want it to die. - And the slope it is on should prevent over watering.

I never had clematis before and this spring has shown how beautiful they can be,.

Course I also have Duchess of Edinburgh which got wilt when it had two large about to open buds. I think this was too much of a strain of a plant this young, from what I have read here in the forums. I cut it back to the ground and sprayed it with an anti-fungal. It is coming back nicely. I will not let it bloom this summer, will feed it and let it develop more.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

here are two of ours its really full of blossoms but these were the first two to open. Im excited they even opened because we have a lot of shade here. But i found the right place for it :)

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely! I very glad that you told us in your opening thread that Kermensia was a deep red and not purple. My camera is also fooled by these two colors too! Here is what C.O.T.W. says about this lovely viticella. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=572

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Shirley1md - thanks so much for the Kermensia link.

I learned today to use a "grey card" when photographing dark reds and purples. The camera focuses on the white trellis and ignores the reds in the bloom.

If you don't have a 'grey card", what you do is get your bloom in focus through your camera - I use a monopod or tripod, hold your hand out beside the bloom, depress the camera button half way when focused on your hand - then remove your hand and press the button the rest of the way. That way its little brain does not focus on something white.

I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks so much for info on the "grey card". Would a grey colored piece of construction paper work? Where does one get a "grey card" without paying big bucks! I never knew about the hand trick. I'll have to give that a try once I'm able to get around my garden better.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Shirley - you know the small 6X8 pieces of foam board that you use for craft projects? They would work, or a piece of gray cardboard ( Inside a cereal box?) The object is to trick the camera sensor to focus on neutral instead of a more obvious color.

Jeanne in Tx and all others: I was WRONG< WRONG

I couldn't think of a better recycle project than taking apart my cereal box so I can turn it into a "grey card" thereby getting more accurate colors when photographing red or purple plants! Does it work? Have you tried it yet?

It would neat to have the "before" and "after" picture (using the grey card) side-by-side.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

In re the post of 6/8/07 - the rest of it wasn't there - wonder what happened to it.

I was WRONG about Kermesina - when I followed the link from Shirley I knew immediately that that was not the plant I photographed. The one I photographed was "VOLUCEAU"

I went out and looked at the tag and realized that I misnamed it.

Jeanne - you were right about Kermesina having smaller leaves. At least mine does.

Please forgive a newbie.

Shirley1md. I tried the hand trick with the camera on a coleus plant this AM. I did not do a before picture, but here is an after picture.

A grey card works a little better, but I forget to take it along.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hon ..there is no reason to apologize..I just thought something didn't look right is all..when identifying clematis it's important to not only check color, sepal shape,bar,connectives and anthers but the leaves can help when not really sure...Here is my Clematis "Voluceau"....of course it's only a baby since I planted it this past Spring...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Jeanne. Mine is planted on a white trellis, backed up with a red pickup truck. Will try to photo it again tomorrow. Yes, yours looks like my Voluceau.

Your Coleus picture turned out great and the colors look very accurate! I'll definitely use the 'grey card' just as soon as I'm able to venture out into the garden again.

Jeanne: That's a beautiful shot of 'Voluceau'! Wow, those colors would make my camera go crazy too! Do you use any type of 'grey card' or trick to get the colors accurate? A lot of people 'adjust' the color once they have uploaded the pictures to their computer & then use photo editing programs to correct the color.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirley..Nope..just me and my camera..I usually take my pics very early in the morning or late in the afternoon..I find taking pictures in too much bright light doesn't lend itself to being color-perfect...does that make any sense?...Jeanne

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well here are some more of mine Im so happy its blossoming and so beautiful. The flowers just keep on coming and thats fine by me. Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

heres another....

Congratulations Ronna, those are lovely Clematis blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.