Is this a Salvia?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi,...collected seeds from this plant on the banks of the Mississippi River near New Orleans....this is one of the resulting babies....I thought it looked like a salvia
of some sort.....any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Thumbnail by WillisTxGarden
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a shot before the blooms appeared

Thumbnail by WillisTxGarden
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Looks like
Obedient Plant, False Dragonhead (Physostegia virginiana)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Larkie....it's similar,...but the leaves are different from the obedient plant ...I believe,...and the flower is a bit different....maybe a relative? I'm not sure!

Maybe the Penstemon family? Tho the leaves don't look quite right for them either. I have no clue, but it's really pretty.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I think it is American Germander, Teucrium canadense
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/82777
Check it out.
Josephine.

Josephine,

I think you win the prize! It is a really nice plant.

Joseph

Yes, I have it and I love it, it is also a very strong grower.

Those are lovely, Frostweed. I'm putting those on my wish list. How long is their bloom time? How much sun does yours get and do you happen to know the easiest way to propagate them? Any other details to grow them happily?

This is my first year to have them, they tend to send out underground runners, and they propagate very easily from cuttings. The bloom period is about one month, full sun to partial shade is fine.
Josephine.

Thank you, Frost. I was smitten with this plant since Willis first posted it. Glad it has a name, I'm ordering a few for this Fall.

BTW Frost, off topic for this thread. You helped me this Spring with getting my extra Phlox from cuttings. It seemed to take forever, but they took! This year five cutting, next year twenty-five and so on and so on. I love them so much. Thank you for your help.

Oh! I am so glad it worked for you, Phlox is really beautiful, and the butterflies love it.
It seems strange to me that there aren't more people cultivating this flower, it is so wonderful and easy.
This year with all the rain we have had the phlox I had in semi shade got a really bad case of mildew, which I didn't seem to be able to cure. So after the first flush of bloom I cut them back to about 6 inches from the ground, in an effort to get rid of the mildew.
They are growing back and i am hoping for a second bloom. By the way, the ones in the sun did not get mildew, so that is something to keep in mind.
Here they are in bloom in spite of the mildew

Thumbnail by frostweed

And here is the bed now coming back,isin't that sad? it broke my heart to do it, but it was necessary.
I will report on how it works out.

Thumbnail by frostweed

I'm so sorry you had to cut those beauties back. Must be this years unique weather. It's photos like your first that is just an inspiration to growing more.

Thank you, they are growing back quite well, I wiil let you know how it turns out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.