Is growing a montana on a tree a problem?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is an ongoing question on another thread but I'm very curious to what people think so I wanted to open it up to everyone.

Thanks for your input.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What kind of tree have you got in mind? The only problem I can see is the health of the tree's root being disturbed from digging big hole to accomodate the clem. The root ball could be quite extensive and needs more room to spread. 2nd problem I can visuallize is that Clematis need root deep in the shade, but require lots of sunlight to produce flowers. Should the tree Overshadow the Clem. It won't bloom optimally. Other than that, it sould be beautiful, let's hear/see others chime in?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I was concerned about the montana strangling the tree. It seems that if you planted the vine several feet out from the tree it would still be viable. That root thing is always a problem though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Montana var. Rubin? The vines do go vigourously, but due to its fragile in structure. I doubt it would strangle your tree. Unlike Wisteria, or other stout vines.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I dont know specifically about Montana but there is a small home based nursery near me and they have Group A clematis growing in their trees - huge ones too. I have one in my hawthorne tree and it and the tree is just fine!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Group A is the Montana's Fancy. Not usually huge ones though. I wonder what they are. Maybe you could find out?
I have a Reuben's and I love the flowers but it's got mealy bugs and needs to be sprayed with alcohol pretty often. Wouldn't be possible in a tree. Broughtan Star is the other one I have and it doesn't get the bugs.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2007 9:29 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Doss,
I visitted the other post "Clematis on tree" and noted that the question was regarding Mulberry. Is that Mulberry a grafted, weeping, nonfruiting Mulberry?
This type of tree is relatively small, and the leaves, by my own experience are susceptible to fungal infection that cause discolartion of the leaves. Every year, I'll have to spray them preventively with dacronyl. Having any type of vine, that potentially "drape" the tree canopy, I afraid would aggravate the problem. Instead of enhancing it. Besides, hybride clem. will goes dormant too while the deciduous tree shreds their leaves. But, if it's a taller trees, you can adorn your tree's trunk with demunitive colorful vines for added interest such as this example. (This doesn't belong in my garden, however, I learned this from a wonderful Gentleman whose generosity and love of garden, shared this experience with us -- today).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know what kid of a tree it was. I just thought that it was time to get the question out on a thread where someone knew montanas better than I did.

I have to spray my iris with daconil in the spring but I can't imagine having to do it to a tree! My grr... Reubens is driving me crazy though. Thank good ness for the internet that gave me the alcohol spray recipe. Nothing else was doing any good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.