This just came out of nowhere!

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Was walking by a couple of container Sago's this morning and thought...who was using white paint around here?

Well, on closer inspection, it's not white paint, it's some nasty infestation. (scale?) It's really worse on the new sets of fronds that have just come out.

In your experience, what's the best way to treat this. I can't move them somewhere else to treat as the containers weigh a ton, but they are kind of on their own and not mixed with too many other pots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

Thumbnail by KatG

Getting a little deeper into the plant on the new set of fronds

Thumbnail by KatG

Eeeeeeeeewwww!

Thumbnail by KatG
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the sago scale, i'm afraid to say, is not treatable. it is wiping out sagos all over florida in huge numbers. if you run across something that says to treat with oil and take off all the leaves, you're just spinning your wheels. it comes back and kills. sorry

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, that is nasty! Trackin, I'm sure someone has tried Imidacloprid, a systemic. No success? I've heard of this scale, but this is the first time I've seen it. I sure hope we don't have to deal with it here, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

Sounds to me like I'm screwed!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ceejay, i think all the systemics have been tried, over and over again with no results. at first you think you saved it, only to find it coming back again with the new flush of leaves. when i left the keys, most of them were dead down that way and all through miami area. as i got farther north, i didn't see signs of it in this area at first, now i do and they are dying up here as well. there were some great articles online about this nasty crap. i didn't save any of them on my favorites, but i'm sure that a google search will turn up loads of stuff.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

My sincere condolences, Kat. I have three huge sagos, and I would be devastated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.