Diatomaceous Earth killing carpenter ants - need advice

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I have carpenter ants in my garden and BEFORE they decide to search for food in my home I need to reduce their numbers. After research I decided to go with Diatomaceous Earth because I have dogs and cats who run around the garden and this seems to be the safest way. I know that it can also kill earthworms but luckily the nest seems to be in my landscape timbers next to a path and I can use the diatomaceous earth on the paths and not in the soil itself (hopefully). If it's not the main nest then it must be in someone else's yard and I can't do anything about that. My question is what is the best way to use this stuff? And how much should I use?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i have one of those Chapin hand dusters, but i think for the ants, you would want to ring it around the area so that when they cross it, they die. carpenters will go up a tree and drop onto a house (at least here in florida). one thing that will kill them on contact (but not the nest) is ivory soap and water. i don't know what ivory has in it, but i mean, it's instant. i use ivory throughout the garden on occasion for various bugs, but i was amazed at the way it works on ants.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I'll have to try that, thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.