planting?

Groveton, NH

got a question for some of you. i'm in no. n.h. and it has been raining up here for 2 days or so. and pretty heavy too. i want to plant my seedling : melons, winter squash, and pumpkins. and i want to use black poly for soil warmth & weed control. time is moving fast! so how long should i wait? thanks mo.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I'd like to know too - I have lots of little plants to plant.

Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

I'm in Southern NH and I planted everything last Friday - just in time for the abusive storms and hail on Saturday. I use black garden fabric for weed suppression. Our frost-free date is June 1 (and we have had frost on May 31 before).

If you know your frost free date - plant anytime after that. I tried to look up your planting date, but could only find for the southern tier of the state. YOu might inquire of your local farm and garden store (Agway) or county extension office.

However, with all the rain, if you have clay soil (as I do), you will want to let it dry out a bit before planting. Otherwise you may compact the soil more than it naturaly compacts.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks - well I have very sandy soil - so I guess I am in the garden planting as much as I can tomorrow before I go to work. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.