Roundup Recipes 2007

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I ate some dishes there that I would love to make. Thought I would start a thread where we could share our recipes for what was brought to the RU this year.

I brought cooked cabbage. I usually do it on the grill but this time was done in a pot on the stove.

Cooked Cabbage

Shredded cabbage
sliced sweet onion
butter/marg a few pats
Season All
Basil
Garlic powder
Pepper
Red pepper flakes, or not :~)
Any other spice or herb you would like
wrap in foil packages making sure the seams are sealed. Then throw it on the grill. Keep turning it with tongs until done to taste. I like leaving it on until it's glazed a bit(has a bit of brown). This can also be done in a pot on a stove. Or start it on the stove and finish on the grill for that lovely grilled flavor in less time!

Lana

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Thank you, thank you! It was so good, I love cabbage but mine just doesn't taste like yours, Now, next time I make some I'll Know. Thanks.....Jeremy is driving me nuts about the Chocolate Eclaire pie, so whoever made it, PLEASE post, or I'll have to just send him to your house begging!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That cabbage was delish. I would definitely have to put a good handful of red pepper flakes in it if I make it at home - yum!

I have my mango salsa recipe posted here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=1486525

Note that the hot version of my salsa had an additional hot peppers added, about 4 whole jalapeño and 3 whole habanero, I think. My eyes burned and I started coughing as soon as I took the lid off the food processor's bowl. LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi folks. I made the chocolate eclair cake. Glad you liked it!
Here is the recipe...sooooo simple!!
1 box of graham crackers
2 pkgs. of instant vanilla pudding, 3 oz. size
3 cups of whole milk
1 carton of cool whip
1 can of dark chocolate frosting
9x13 dish

Here is how I made it
First of all...if you don't use whole milk. ( we use fat free) add something richer to it. I used a pint container of half and half, plus one cup of FF milk. =3 cups.

Mix pudding up. Mix the container of cool whip into it, blending thoroughly. I used cool whip lite.

Lay graham crackers on bottom of dish. Then a layer of pudding on top of them....another layer of graham crackers, another layer of pudding, another layer of graham crackers....ending with the graham crackers on top.
Frost with the dark chocolate frosting. Chill at least 4 hrs. or overnight...so the graham crackers will soften up.
If the frosting is too stiff, microwave for a few seconds at a time. You don't want it runny...just softened enough to spread easily.
Enjoy.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, my gosh, that recipe really IS easy? That could be a bad thing. LOL

By the time you add half-and-half to skim milk, you're pretty much ending up with the same fat as whole milk, so you'd just as well use whole.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh WOW ! Thanks Marcy! I can't believe it's that easy! I'm going to make him one, and I'm not going to tell him how I did it, so he'll think I did something glorious! He won't know what to think of his special girl ! LOL

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Yo Jerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrremy....C'mere Hunny...Have I got a secret for yewwwwww!!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

You would.

Uh Huh... In a heartbeat!!!! ;-P

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL :P right back at cha! Are you gonna give me your salsa recipe OR WHAT???

Or What!!! Nope....

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Or I might have to beg????? That sound right? LOL

Beg sounds realllllll good... But I can't tellya or I'd have ta kill ya...I WILL However SHOW you how to make it.... ;-)

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Kewl.

When the 'maters are ripe, bring yer hinnie over here and we will make it together...OH!! and bring *Smiley * with ya for the taste tester...

I'm not being rude yall... I can give the ingredients, but not the amounts...99% of it depends on the 'Maters..If ya want the total, I'll post it but then you are on yer own...

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds good! Thanks

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That sounds like mine, Dusty - It's always tweaked a little depending on the tomatoes, the heat of the particular bunch of peppers, etc.

Thats it exactly Kimberley...If the tomatoes are garden fresh picked, they have more flavor than the cardboard grocery ones, so you want to reduce the amount of the spices a bit...Some peppers are riper than others, or larger etc...The key is to add the seasoning, let it sit about an hour, stir, and retaste then let it go over night in the fridge and taste again tomorrow...If you have too much fire, you can add more tomatoes...(or whatever you are using)

My salsa is nothing more than *Pico de Gallo* with additives

Tomatoes
Yellow onions
Green onions
Cilantro
Jalapenos

Spices are:
Cumin
Salt
Garlic -granulated
Chile powder
and the Key is : Fresh Lime juice- I add 2 at first then retaste

and thats it...

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 11:19 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I love using the grape tomatoes for salsa - they are sweet and juicy and consistent. If I have good fresh tomatoes, I go for them, though!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Marcy! Friday was my oldest daughters 24th Birthday, I made the Eclaire cake, and everyone flipped!! Huge success! Thanks again, ..Sandy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just printed out the E' claire cake recipe! My 11 year old and I love E'clairs! She said that dessert was wonderful! She also got some of Mystic's Pretzel Salad which she loves. By my own fault of course, when I got around to eating, a lot of that yummy stuff was gone!

Next time we have it here and I get first dibs on the desserts as I will be on time! LOL

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Pretzel salad? what pretzel salad? hmmm....guess I missed that one! boo...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Your welcome Sandy! Glad everyone enjoyed it. Chele, ya gotta be quick! LOL!
I am one tired lady tonight! Got my tropical garden put together finally...well most of it. There is a part that I have to demolish first, then redo...but mostly it's DONE!!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

You just had to mention that pretzel salad, Chele! I had forgotten about it, didn't get any but now have a hankering because you had to talk about pretzel salad :~P~~~

I'm still waiting on the recipe for the yummy salad that had sesame seeds and ramen noodles in it. There's a couple others I would love to have too.

Lana

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Lana,

I think the recipe you are talking about is the one that my friend, Donna brought to the Round up.
Here is the recipe. It is one of my favorites.

BROCCOLI SLAW

2 pkgs. Broccoli Slaw (you can buy it at Krogers in the packaged salad section)
2 pkgs. Ramen Noodles Chicken flavor
1 cup Sunflower kernels (hulled sunflowers)
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
Bacon optional

Mix together sugar, oil, vinegar and the two season packets from the chicken ramen noodles.

Pour over Broccoli Slaw.

Mix in sunflower kernels and one package broken up ramen noodles,

Sprinkle the remaining package of broken up pieces of ramen noodles on top.

If making the night before, don’t mix the sunflower kernels or noodles as they may get soggy.
Mix them a few hours or right before serving.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That was really yummy, too. I could go for some of that right now, hot as it is.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about, moonlit! Thanks :~)

Lana

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Bump. Last years Spring RU Recipes :)

Lana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.