Sleep,creep,LEAP OMG am i going to have a JUNGLE next year?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

time lapsed photography....not really but here is the sleep year; i just planted
this bed last year:

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

this is today june 4 photo....if this is creep then i am in for a huge jungle next year

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

wowy...this is only year one of these perennials....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Shazam! Ain't life grand?
Looks like the plants that ate Crosbyton.........

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Amazing growth ( to me ) I'm pretty new to a lot of perennials. So what cha got in there!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

crash....plant perennials.....it is AMAZING what they do in one year....in this bed is shastas, 2 kinds of salvias, lemongrass, mums, hollyhocks, aztec grass, echinacea, cone flower...omg i went crazy planting....;

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is what i also learned.....make sure to plant plants with different color of foliage so that when they aren't in bloom you will have a diverse look.....this is way too much green ....i may rip some of this out next year when i should be thinning it and plant stuff that has different colors of foliage.....right now the only things blooming are the shastas, the salvias ....but the blooms are so little you cant see....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

pod....yup...very very exciteing!!!! am buying up and planting perrennials....whooooo hooooo!!! so proud of myself!!!

Any particular perennials? Do you start any from seed?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

pod...not sure exactly what you are asking...; but i am thinking you are asking what else i am planting? and/or any by seed....; i am hoping to try my luck at winter sowing this next year..; i am so so so new at gardening so anything i can grow will be more than i already have.....; i just want to fill my beds with stuff....and for it to look good; i am also going to be concentrating on fragrant flowers....

i don't wanna throw so much stuff out there that it looks awful....so i will be researching what i would like to grow which will be flowers for sure....

as for plants with a different color of foliage, i have no clue as to what to grow; i love alternanthera...but it is not a perennial...and i am HOOKED on perennials....for my beds...; then i can concentrate on my pots which are mostly annuals....especially petunias...

any ideas?

Actually, I think I was wondering if you had started yours by seed. Didn't make sense to me either when I reread it. LOL

Different foliage? I have no ideas after I listen to you talk about hot, dry, windy... Variegated would be lovely but don't know if something like the var. cannas could take the wind. Low growing variegated maybe... like variegated society garlic, or another one that I like is variegated asian jasmine. But neither one has flair. You might try posting the question in the Foliage forum and see what kind of suggestions you get.

Fragrant is wonderful ~ who wouldn't love that. For fragrance I like jasmines, gingers, petunias, hoya but most of my plants are potted. Sorry... but your beds do look great. pod

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

pod...i was thinking also of some purpleish foliage.....OH OH OH...purple fountain grass~~!!! that might look groovin!!!! what else has purple y foliage...?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

How about barberry bushes - a nice crimson. Varigated euonymous will give you green and white or green and yellow.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

penne...will have to research those....the bed only gets about 4 hours of sun a day; will go have a look

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

There's a bunch of coral bells (heuchera) that come in reds and purples, too. They might contrast nicely with grasses and flowers. But, they can be a little bit addictive, lol!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i just planted some heuchera hollywoods....so great minds must think alike:)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

lol! I don't have that one yet, but the pictures I've seen are stunning!

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

...Red Shield Hibiscus...

Thumbnail by JanLynn

weigela

Thumbnail by JanLynn

black jack sedum

Thumbnail by JanLynn

purple lady iresine

Thumbnail by JanLynn

silver dragon persicaria

Thumbnail by JanLynn

Sorry I "slipped-in" some annuals and you are discussing perennials...I think the only one that wouldn't be perennial for you is the last item...or last two items... :)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

those are lovely....i have grown iresine....; i found persian shield that i love....; i ended up planting purple fountain grass.....not the best but what i had at the time...thank you:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.