It's raining, it's pouring

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

and I just planted the thyme at the beginning of the garden pathway. DH had tried bent grass (which looks really ugly after a while) - I wanted thyme, so DH "allowed" me to rip out the bent grass in front of the arbour and plant thyme - I removed lots of the dirt about the path, replaced it with the burnt umber sand that lies about 14 inches below the top of the ground. Apparently, thyme thrives in poor sandy (even stoney) soil. Originally from the Mediterranean, thyme needs a lot of drainage. I kept the sandy-edge around the path high, and made sure there was a mini-drainage ditch between the grass and the thyme plants.

Alas - although the mini-drainage/edging is about 3 inches deep, it is almost filled to capacity. And all the little, tiny, thyme seeds I had left over, I had sown in-between the stones . . . I think they must be washed away by now. . . sigh.

It better be sunny tomorrow!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

the old man is snoring....

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Thyme moves on...

2.25" so far here. Keep it coming!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I'm only up to 1.75" What a difference between us!

Do you have a gage or are you getting the info from somewhere? I'm using my gage. The reported values from around here - including the HS only two miles away - are always off. I want to get one of those complete weather stations. They are under $100 now.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I have a little rain guage that I stick in the soil.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, the little ditches filled to overflowing this afternoon, but are now completely drained. I suppose in a week or so I will be removing the germinating thyme seed from the ditches and trying to place them back between the stones. More thundershowers predicted for tomorrow.

How does all this rain affect gardens? Does it trigger mould or fungus? What about blackspot or powerdery mildew?

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Speaking of rain!
The City of Marlboro received a grant for rain barrels. They were $52 each. My wife and I decided that we would try one in the back of the house. Its a pain running out a hose to water all the time. Only bad thing is that you have to cut a down spout to put the barrel under. The good thing is that puppy is full with 50 gallons of FREE water already. I just hook up the hose and water the rear garden.
About time I did something smart. (Maybe I should listen to my wife more often. - LOL)
Chuck

http://www.nerainbarrel.com/

This message was edited Jun 5, 2007 6:47 AM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2007 7:02 AM

Do you just use gravity or a pump, Chuck?

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Runs by gravity, so you don't have pressure as a faucet would. Thats OK because I use a soaker hose anyways

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

That's great! I wish my town would do that. Soon I have to replace my roof. When I do, I'll replace the gutters as well, and I'll get rain barrels then. It's such a good idea. All the rain goes straight into the ditch by the side of the road, why not keep it for the garden, eh?

Good goin' Chuck!

Harper

I have four but admit that I often choose the convenience of the hose over them. I need to raise mine higher. Then I might do the soaker hose deal. Unfortunately, one set of two doesn't have a regular hose output but some plastic tubing. Have to improvise.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

That's okay, Vic. You're halfway there.

I do fill up watering cans with them when I feel like.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela,

How is your thyme doing? Maybe you should try WSing some, to get it started, now, I mean, and then plant it out soon, like plant it in a flat with a cover (bag bad Burpee makes them), cause you don't need 4" for roots.

Worth a try?

xxxx, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I did winter sow thyme - I planted most of those, and I have held back some in reserve. The seed was what remained - and there was a lot! I suspect some will germinate - just not where I expect it :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.