Coleus Chatters thru June 10th

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning all you colorful coleus lovers! I hope the sun shines beautifully on your gardens this week and if you're in need of rain....I'm praying for you.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/728459/

Thumbnail by Brinda
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all getting ready to take some cuttings and ship them off to Lavina Mae, GG3, Sc and a surprise for a gal whos house I didn't get by last year. We are pre rain storm here.
;)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We got a half inch of rain! Most since April 26. I gave everything a good feeding of fish emulsion and water about three days ago.

Here is Tabasco and Gold Brocade

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

And this is Smallwood's Driveway

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

And here is a tray of the lance leaved seedlings I got seed from Joy. Was not overly impressed with them at first but they are coloring up nicely.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I had transplanted some of these to some buckets of daylily seedlings buckets. The plants are beginning to mound, leaves are stretching out, not unlike "The Flume", but different colors or course. Hmmm,, wonder what they will look like when they grow up?

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Have to try again in better light to get pics of "Watermelon" It has really colored up since it's fish for lunch.

Wow, Claire I might want some of that pink feather leafed one this fall. All of those look very promising. Are those seeds Joy bought or harvested?
Glad everyone is behaving for you.
I am noticing that I am getting some new growth on some I thought I had lost.
I also had sent 4 to a dear friend for her 80th birthday. She lives in the 'Hill Country' outside of Austin, Texas and had to construct a brick wall to keep the deer from eating all her plants. She has them hanging on a wall in some fashion or another.
She was awakened last night by a whistleing sound. She said everything was blue and the whistleing sound grew louder and louder as the lightning and thunder rolled and popped.
She later discovered a tornado had hit her porch and patio and torn up several of the clay roof tiles. She is very brave and very dear to me. I named my son after her wonderful husband who passed away before he could retire from El Paso Natural Gas.
I have a big day tomorrow working on the house.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Quick drive-by posting! Where is everyone? I hope you're all in the garden enjoying your plants & blooms!

Claire, I'm anxious to see your watermelon.

Has anyone seen Melissa lately?

See ya soon.....Love ya...

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Well I would have enjoyed my blooms today if we hadn't had one heck of a thunderstorm. It just wrecked havoc on my back bed and my cleome which I grew for the first time this year and which was my favorite annual this season took a beating.

Thumbnail by phughes
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

News reports predicted 70 mph winds in places. I find that hard to believe, but whatever they were they took care of damaging my zinnias too.

Thumbnail by phughes
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the before picture

Thumbnail by phughes
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Man! I hope they will spring back up for you. That's some fierce wind! Stay Safe!

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful garden! I bet you get a lot of pretty butterflies.

Janet

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I've staked the cleome this evening and it should be fine; zinnias either got pulled up or cut way back. Bed has some empty spots now.

I do get a few butterflies and an occasional hummingbird.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW - what a rough area to live in. We have had rain.

Sidney, any you see are up for sharing. They are from seeds from Joy.
Well today was the day. I got two flats of seedlings planted out in the ground, plus the cuttings from the Bakers Acres coleus. I am done!

I have about 200 dwarf marigolds to border the beds then I am done planting.

But that doesn't count cuttings from the coleus. I have to start up my "baby beds"

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Pati? Are you lurking??? I haven't seen you in awhile. Everything OK? We miss you!

Good Morning everyone! This has been a crazy week and I'm ready for a rest. I have some cuttings to get out today and I need to get busy with that. Then I'm going to take a break. LOL

Patty...I'm so sorry about your beautiful gardens. We are expecting 50-80mph winds today and I'm dreading it. I have to get all my little babies tucked away before the winds hit.

Didn't I see CalifSue posting here? And now I can't find her post. Where are you Sue?

Claire, you're way ahead of me. I still don't have my Baker's Acres coleus potted up. I put them in plastic cups when I got them and they're doing great. I need to get to that sometime this week. Hopefully we won't have high winds the rest of the week.

Have a great day everyone! Do something FOR YOURSELF today....I plan to! LOL

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Good luck with the storm. Brinda. I wish I had known that we were supposed to get that kind of storm. I would have staked a lot of my taller stuff and moved some of my pots onto the covered patio. I had ran to turn in paperwork and wasn't there five minutes before I left there right as the rain started, got home and changed into comfy shorts and that's when my husband called and told me to run out to the shop. In no time at all (like maybe 15 minutes), the wind just whipped the heck out of everything. By late afternoon, the sun was out and I was able to clean everything up. Crazy weather . . .

Almere, Netherlands

Hi, I have some space in my greenhouse now, so I have sown the rest of my seeds. Hundreds of new plants, I hope I can select the best ones before autumn.

Wouter

Almere, Netherlands

Alice,
a picture of my 'Ella's Fire' from England. Still small, but growing now.

Thumbnail by waddink
Almere, Netherlands

'Nettie', I like the simple color scheme of this one. Good in full sun.

Wouter

Thumbnail by waddink
Almere, Netherlands

One of my seedlings, looks a little like 'Sparkler' although less sparkling.

Thumbnail by waddink
Almere, Netherlands

You need sunglasses to look at this one..

Thumbnail by waddink
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow Wouter~! Very.....VERY nice!

Hey all you Floridians? What does the wind speed have to get to before it's considered a hurricane? Cowabunga.....I can hardly stand up with this stuff. I ran to town earlier and it was difficult for me to walk across the parking lot. Now I understand why they're warning about small dogs. LOL These two would never make it out there. Good thing the yard is fenced.....at least that will stop them from blowing straight to Kansas! LOL

Thumbnail by Brinda
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Wouter, your seedlings are outstanding. I planted lance leaved coleus seeds this spring and have maybe half a doz beauties. I have to take cuttings and plant them in full sun to see if they will tolerate it.

Brinda, I chopped up the Bakers Acres plants upon receipt. LOL They were so beautiful and I wanted extra plants. Three weeks later they are planted in the beds. Orig. plants will remain potted in larger pots to provide cuttings.

I see some of mine have got holes in the leaves. Guess I have to give them a shot of the Bayers formula tomorrow.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

OH Brinda your dogs are so cute; definately don't want them blowing away in the storm

Well I can just see those babies plastered against a privacy fence. And Henry against my Chain link. LOL
Here are your speeds,
"Level 1, 74-95 mph
Level 2, 96-110 mph
Level 3, 111-130 mph
Level 4, 131-155 mph
Level 5, 156 mph.
I prefer near misses myself. The TV weather men almost sob when we don't get clobbered.
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL We didn't reach Level 1 but it sure felt like it.....but round 2 will be here tomorrow. And hopefully the weatherman is right and we won't have winds like this on Friday. I sure hope not, I have sooo many things to do. I had hoped to have everything done by this weekend but it doesn't looke like it's going to happen now. But I do plan to go back to Nan's house on Friday and plant all her coleus. I can't wait to take pics when everything gets going out there. She has such a beautiful backyard.

Patty....those little monsters are only cute when they're sleeping or in their cage. He has such an attitude for such a little guy. He will bite your finger off if you point at him. Way too much teasing from all the kids. And it amazes me at the number of words they recognize. And I promise you....you don't want to call him a puss....he will attack. It's so funny, he is only 2 pounds and 5" inches at the shoulder, but he's a ball of fire!

This has been a monster of a week. And now one of my best friends just had a pacemaker put in late last night. Long story....she is only 31 years old and started having episodes where she would just pass out. Normally it would happen early in the morning when she was in the shower. One time she passed out and hit her head....took 7 stitches. I don't recall what the diagnosis was but they ended up putting a monitor on her and after they had recorded 3 episodes the insurance company would pay for a pacemaker. I felt so sorry for her, her DH left Monday morning for New Jersey for the week and she has an episode in the shower Tuesday morning. She's a strong girl....when she came to she got around and drove herself to work, called the doctor and they scheduled her surgery for 7pm last night. Her DH flew home but didn't get here in time for the surgery. But things are better today and she is home resting! Praise the Lord!

Sidney, any word from Pati? Has anyone seen her around? And where the heck is Pheadra?

I tried to call Pati, but no answer. I may have to drive down and see her.
Pheadra sen't me a d-mail, so I recon she's okay.
Where's Happy, Gymgirl, Sticks-n-stones, and Kell?
When we were girl scouts we sang a song;
"Make new friends
But keep the old,
Some are silver
The others gold!"
Now we have Janet, Patty, Gail, and several other new folks.
Tobee has her own GH with 3,000 coleus so she has permission to not post. I still miss last years folks too.
Sidney

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

What is going on with this wind?? We're getting it too. It's supposed to subside around noon tomorrow, but it was very heavy today. A lot of flights canceled at the Denver airport. I didn't take pics today, but will tomorrow as soon as the wind stops. Phughes, sorry for your loss. I'll be a lot of it comes right back and will look great despite the holes in the beds.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Brinda, I'm so sorry about your friend's situation. I hope the pacemaker will help her to live a very long and productive life. I'm glad she's doing much better now.

Those with high winds, my prayers are with you all. Wind can be so destructive to our beautiful yards.

Sidney, I remember that song well. I was a GS leader many years ago. You brought a smile of remembrance to my face. I've really enjoyed this forum and am thankful to be included as a new friend. The folks here at Dave's are awesome! :-)

Wouter, your plants are beautiful. I love them all! :-)

I didn't get to play in the dirt today. But took some photos this morning of some of the pots I painted and planted the other day. The 2 bronze pots were hideous faded out green from 20 years ago. The center copper pot was a hideously peeling painted terra cotta pot that I picked up at a garage sale for a buck. I'm tickled pink with the way the look now. :-)

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone! Once again....it's windy here. Much different than yesterday, it feels like it could storm with all the moisture in the air. Loads of wind and humidity.....ugh! But tomorrow is supposed to be a better day. Yeeehaaawww!

Rev...I do feel for you. And all your beautiful plants on the balcony, are they getting hit hard by the wind?

Janet, thanks for the well wishes for my sweet friend Lisa. So far everything is looking good and I'm sure it will continue.

OK Janet....spill the beans about the paint for the pots. They look great. Did you spray it on or brush it? What kind of paint? My friend Lisa painted some a bright red and then sprayed white on them (looks like faux) and they really look good.

Sidney, I sent an SOS out to the old group....we'll see what happens. LOL And I sure miss Shirley and Heather too. I haven't seen Heather around for awhile and I know Shirley is busy with her DH and daughter. I miss her so much.

Sidney was it you or Dale that talked to tobee in an email about the greenhouse coleus business? One of you please send me her email addy. I used to look forward to her early morning posts (actually a chapter in a book).

TA? Are you still on solid ground down there. It's been awhile since we've heard from you too. How's the fence coming along? Post more pics of your work......it gives me inspiration.

Well...I best get moving. I'm going to try to get my watering out of the way early, do a couple loads of laundry and then run into the city to spend some of DH's money! (on plants of course) LOL That should make him happy! Love to all....

BTW.....Joy & Juanita, you're working too hard!!!!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Just a quickie cause I should be getting ready; we are going out of town today. Got up this morning early to go water before leaving and once again the wind is blowing like a tornado. What is up with this???? Thank goodness I got everything staked so hopefully all will be okay. I also moved several pots to the covered patio.

Take care the rest of you who are experiencing this crazy wind.

Check back in with you guys upon return unless BIL happens to take his lap top with us; I noticed the hotel we are staying in has internet connections. hahahaha keeping fingers crossed.

Later

Patty

PS Janet, I love those painted pots; that is on my list of things to do next week. so glad you shared that idea with us.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh, I'm here. Just been lurking for a few days. Getting ready for my DS to come in today, for tomorrow we head north to watch the Launch. I can't wait to have him all to myself even if it's only a couple of days.

Sounds like you are all TOO busy.

Hap

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning, Please Don't send out the dave police,I'm here very tired but, I'm here We have been in the middle of our store inventory(things did not go well)I spent 4 nights ovr night and then right in to days without a sleep break,I am so looking forward to my day off friday.I have only had time to do a quick walk through of the yard and GH
Everything has shot up a foot since we finally got a little rain plus we got a little more yesterday.(thank god)

Brinda,I'm glad to hear your friend is going to be ok.

Hi,Everyone!!!

Well I'm off to work AGAIN.......I so miss my garden,,,,,,

Pearl River, LA

Hello everyone.....been missing you guys ... I am just in from the blue berry patch and really should be making something delicious but I wanted to say hi and let you see what I have been up to.....Here are some before pics in the same area and some now pics... Did I work hard or what... I will post a pic of me digging roots just so you can see me in action....lol

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

This is me working on ridding the area of big roots...Sandy wanted to pay someone to do this but the MM said no way... I got it...lol it was not hard to get them out it just looked like it would be... this is the area in the pic... the mess behind is a bird sanctuary for right now .... the PP said we can get rid of it when the baby birds are hatched ... they are nesting in there now and are enjoying the feed station greatly... It is such fun to sit on the deck and watch them enjoying themselves... we plan a cottage garden for that area actually if birds like it that is where it will go.... what do you think... We will be working on the front area soon... the old home is out and it leaves a large area that is just crying for a rose garden... keep having fun and I love everything everyone is doing... shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirley, that is great! Looks like you've been busy at it!

For those that asked, the paint I'm using is Rustoleum Hammered Metal Spray Paint. It comes for use on Plastic.

I found this beautiful dancer at a garage sale last year. After being out in the weather through the fall and winter, she looked a bit "peaked", as you can see on the left photo. I sprayed her with BLACK HAMMERED METAL paint and voila'!

That stuff gives new life to whatever you spray it on. It's a bit pricey, as far as spray paint goes ($5.75 +/-) but I think it's worth it. I didn't want glossy or flat.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

Shirley look at your skinny self. Haven't you lost some weight? You look just great.
You have really got those gardens looking wonderful. I bet the whole place is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe I can get by there on a jaunt to Texas sometime in the next year or so. I'm so glad to hear from you. Glad PP is doing well too. Is Sandy still there? Don't be a stranger.

Wow Janet what a beautiful statue.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

gurls gurls....i am still here...; i am just working on other compulsions....irises, daylilies, hostas, grasses and the like; i am trying to get myself ready for arm surguery which will keep me out of commission in the yard....for several months....OMG i wish i had time in my day to do all i would love to do!!!!! thanks for thinking about me and keep them coleus a growin.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.