Dark Hercs

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I sure do like my Obsidian, but I don't think the color is quite as dark as it was last year. I'd love to see some pics of your dark heucheras.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

goldfinch, was your Obsidian in the same location last year? I've been moving my heuchs around just to try to get the desired colors. I saw KatyMac's Cascade Dawn posting the other day and dug mine up the next day to give it more shade. It didn't have enough silver for what it could be.

Here's my Vesuvius.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

And the best-colored of my Geisha's Fans

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

These 2 are good ole Plum Puddin'

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

And Stormy Seas among the dying tulip foliage

Thumbnail by mickgene
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Mickgene - yes, my Obsidian was in the same place last year. However it died to the ground over the winter so I'm thinking maybe it's lighter because these are all still new leaves. Does that make sense?

Really like your Giesha's Fan. I just got Plum Pudding but it's really small yet. You've got lots of nice dark ones. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I saw Dolcé Licorice a few weeks ago and am kicking myself for not buying it then. When I went back, they were gone. It looked truly black, not just a dark-looking purple, and was in blazing sun.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Here is Mocha that I just picked up. The picture makes it look a little more red than it actually is. It's more of a brownish color - very different.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Goldfinch your Mocha reminds me of a maple leaf in fall

MollyD

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

If your Obsidian is out in a sunny spot like that picture sort of indlicates it will surely suffer something. I have only one truly dark Huechera that likes a lot of sun and that is Dolce Licorice.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Molly, you're right - it does look like a fall maple leaf!

Ozarkian, Obsidian get sun until about mid-morning, and then again in early evening. I just got it last year and it didn't have any problems, it's just that the leaves look a little redder this year I think. I love Dolce Licorice. That's on my next year's list.....I have to control myself a little!

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I have had Obsidian two years now and it gets a little more sun than I would like. By August it will be a little "fried" but so will Lime Rickey that is behind it and Sunspot next to it. Obsidian does stay very dark for me.

Thumbnail by rsquared

My new dark Crimson Curls and Petite Pearl Fairy

Thumbnail by rsquared
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Those are both very pretty! btw what's that hosta behind them? Looks familiar.

MollyD

yes that is good old Great Expectations

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

rsq,
Very nice!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Rsquared,

The petite pearl fairy is adorable!

Petite Pearl is actually in its third year with me. I think she will stay small...just what I was hoping for . I may purchase a couple more to fill in some small open spaces. Most of my heucheras get bigger than the tags have stated, not a bad thing but it makes planning spacing tough.

Thrilled to find a little heuchera that stays that way...and not bad looking too.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I had ordered Petite Pearl this year, but the company I ordered it from was out. I like the Crimson Curls too!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Dolce Licorice is a great performer. I bought one at Ace Hardware last fall. Kept it in greenhouse and divided. Have about 8 plants now.. Doesn't seem to mind whatever soil or sun condition..
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.