Orange Fungi

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Is this cool or what? It's as orange as a pumpkin. The other day there was a little bit growing and today the log is covered with it.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow!! That is neat!! Never have seen fungi that color before.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is really cool.
Every year I see new colors in fungi. I think it is because of the unique weather conditions of that year.
That orange is sure bright! We had some just like that last year, only it was purple. Amazing!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

caparatschick,
purple, did you get any pictures?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am sure I did, but will have to dig. I have seen other purple ones in the past too. I will look for the picture and post when I find it.

San Benito, TX(Zone 9b)

I love that shade of orange. While my husband and I were traveling in Alaska years back, we saw, I believe this same fungi. The locals told us they were edible but we of course did not try them. After we came home I looked it up and yes it was edible. Don't know if this is the same plant, but sure looks like it.
Thanks for sharing.
Pedi

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Had company for a couple days....just trying to catch up. I knew where this purple mushroom picture was. I will start looking for the other one.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ha, found it on the first disk I looked at....what are the chances! Of course the color of these in real life are more purple....but you get the picture. Not as lovely as the orange, but unusual that this stuff can grow in so many colors!

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

cpartschick,
Amazing fungus and pictures.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Fungus is pretty amazing. I love walking in the woods in the fall....ya never know what you are going to see next!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

As pretty as any flower! Amazing colors.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Wow, these are really fantastic, Shadyfolks! Do you know their ID ?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

bonitin,
Thanks, took another picture today, they have grown some, and they are starting to loose their intense color. Sorry to say I do not know their ID.
Shady

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Still love the orange. I had purple and now I found green.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That's amazing!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

At first I thought it was mold on fungus, but it was really just green.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

cparts-amazing color!

Well, I had a friend and her husband over for dinner on Saturday night and we got talking about how there is a club for everything and he could NOT believe there was a club for Hosta.....He starts laughing and says he is President of the Ohio Mushroom Society!, LOL! So now I have to tell him about my orange fungus and on and on the conversation went. I have an email sent to my friend so she can give me the name of it again....small world.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is really funny. I know we have a morel mushroom club around here, but that is all I am aware of.

Port Orchard, WA

Chicken of the woods, edible and good when just starting out but gets tough when mature

Olympia, WA

Here is a link to your lovely orange chicken of the woods.........outer edge is the edible best part, so it can be trimmed w/ the remainder of the body left on the log.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/laetiporus_sulphureus.html

Fort Mill, SC(Zone 7b)

I found one that looks like a huge greyish-brown head of cabbage. Does anyone know what it might be without seeing a picture?

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 3:58 PM

Olympia, WA

How about the cauliflower mushroom?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/sparassis_crispa.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.