Messenger on Carnivorous plants?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

"Messenger" is a product that is a Harpin protein to boost a plants immune system and it works on just about all plants but how about Carnivorous plants? Any one try it yet on them?

Eden Bioscience makes it.

Tom

I have no idea. Never tried it before. What are your thoughts behind why you would want to try it?

Just wondering if it will help them like it helps the other plants. I may try it on a few VFTs for goofs, can't hurt I imagine. It's just Harpin protein. Maybe I answered my own question. Hmmmmm....

Tom

Take photos along the way. It's always nice to have a control. If you have more than two of the same plant that are about the same size and in the same overall condition, provide one with the Messenger and leave one be. See what happens side by side. Kitchen experiments are always the best.

I think I will. I have 3 or 4 weak looking small VFTs. I pick 2 that look the same size and we'll see what happens. I have to go get more messenger though, just ran out.

Tom

Post photo before, during, and after please.

Will do!

Portales, NM(Zone 6b)

I have never heard of that product. However, if you conduct an experiment with it on Venus Flytraps, it would be interesting to know the results. Please update this discussion thread as you continue, and please do take photos if you can. That way others can also benefit from your knowledge-seeking activity. :-) -Steve

Alrighty then, here is a before shot. They are pretty much the same size. These are 2 of my weaker VFTs. They will be srayed every 3 weeks as per directions on the messenger packet. First spray will be this evening. Stay tuned!

Tom

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Whoops, forgot to add that the GREEN potted VFT will get the messenger. They will both be in separate water trays and get the same amount of Sun.

Tom

O.K., week 3 just after the second application. Green pot got the Messenger. The green potted VFT shows many new traps but the clear potted one is doing well also. It's kind of hard to tell right now the effect it's having. Certainly no negative effect yet.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Oh neat, you're keeping track and updating us!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

This is interesting--looking forward to seeing the results of your experiment! Thanks!

Some thoughts so far. Although the messenger isn't harmful to them ( I've learned that much so far!) it doesn't seem to make that much difference either, at least as far as appearance goes. The non sprayed VFT had bigger traps and overall looks better than the sprayed VFT. I kind of expected the opposite, HOWEVER it's not fertilizer either, it's supposed to aid plants in being healthy and strong.

It DOES works great on tomato and pepper plants, I had NO lower leaf yellowing on tomato plants this year. Also a small stand of my Bee Balm had no mildew this year.

Tom

Good to know! Thanks for the report, Tom!

Here's the next report and photo. Although there seem to be more traps (albeit smaller) on the green messenger treated VFT the non messenger plant had larger and longer traps. Certainly the Messenger does not harm VFTs, that much we now know. As far as growth it seems to help a bit with producing more traps. I will end the experiment here.

Just for everyone's info a FINE MIST of Messenger was applied so as to stay on the leaves. Larger drops roll off and do no good. This is NOT fertilzer by the way. It's a Harpin protein that helps plants better resist diseases and make better uses of fertilzers. Naturally we don't give VFTs ferts so it doesn't apply. Next year I may try this on some Sarrs....

Hope this was informative.

Tom

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experiment, Tom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.