How/where to plant?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I have four datura plantlings in 4" pots, and (FINALLY!!!!!) six black currant swirl seeds have germinated.

Now I REALLY want these plants - So, first - what should I do with the plantlings? I am in zone 6. Should I move them to larger pots? Should I move them to the garden? What is your advice?

Now the seedlings . . . Is there any hope I will even see a blossom this year? Should these go in the garden? or in large containers?

I have a funny little edge in my roof line where a window in my bedroom is. I would dearly love to have pots with datura on the ledge. Now, it will get very warm there during the early part of the day (faces east) - but will be in complete shade be 4 pm. (or earlier) - would it be safe to have the datura in pots there?

I also understand you are not supposed to fertilize datura - is this correct? In other words, I shouldn't use miracle grow pot mix?

Thanks,
MIchaela

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well Done!!!

They should bloom this year! Most people treat them as annuals. Datura love full sun, heat and lots of water. They will grow in the ground or in a pot. If you plan to keep them in pots then a 1 - 2 gallon would be best. I think they will grow too big for a window sill.

I feed my datura all the time .. i use that 1 tbs per gallon stuff and they go nuts. Once they start flowering, be sure to cut off spent blooms at the stem or they will go to seed causing the quality of the plant to go down hill rapidly.

X

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I now have 7 seedlings + 4 = 11 - wow! that's a lot of pots! I will feed them too.

cheers,
Michaela

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.