Too much sun exposure?

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Hey everyone, hope this finds you well...

Okay, here's what I have....I planted 3 Acalypha, not sure if they're wilks...or not, however, they started out with lots of reds and pinks in the verigation, and now that they have been in the ground for a couple of months, they are turning alot more green. Still healthy and growing, but seem to be losing the red pigmentation..

the first pic is one I planted just two weeks ago and you can clearly see the reds and pinks, the second pic is a couple that are turning more green, but still with plenty of different shades....any thoughts???? thanks in advance,

aurabest.
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

and the second.....

Thumbnail by caribblue
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

"Usually" I find plants with too much sun go the other way...more red. Will be interesting tosee what the newly planted ones do... So often it is the soil and nutrients affecting them along with the sun.... I think.

Good morning Miss Carol,

I will monitor them as I always do and see if any changes come... I do notice that new growth on the bottoms of the newly planted ones are already green.....hmmm...I don't see any of this as being a problem as they are all healthy and all planted in the same area along my south fence line....

These are replacing the pandanas that I am pulling out and donating them to anyone who wants them....

aurabest,
john

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Now...don't take my word for it!!!! Why don't you rig up a little shade covering and see if that helps bring back the red?????

Aloha..

I think that is a great idea!!! We can buy 50% screening here and it seems to be durable. My friend has this old satellite dish that he flipped, attached it to a pole, sceened it over, and now all of his orchids are happy!! I took some photos of it to share but haven't had a chance to download them yet....I think your idea of shading will help....I will keep you posted!!!! thanks Carol,

aurabest,
john

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.