Does Anyone Think......

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

......that this iris could be SMOKE RINGS?

I do think it's a Gibson hybrid- just not sure if it's Smoke Rings or not.

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Compare it with the pictures in Plant Files. Some of them are that dark.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/36523/index.html.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I don't believe it is SMOKE RINGS. SMOKE RINGS does not have any yellow in it. If a name comes to mind of what it may be - - I'll surely let you know. Maybe someone else will know.
Official AIS description:

SMOKE RINGS

(J. Gibson, R. 1971), Sdlg. 23-7B. TB, 37" (94 cm), M

S. smoky orchid veining on cream and mauve; F. smoky orchid and mauve rim on creamy ground; yellow beard; ruffled. 30-5B: (35-1 PB1A: (23-4B x Rococo) x April Melody)) X 142-4A: (86-2PF x 2-2 PL). Gibson 1972

~Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Indashade, may I ask - - where did you get that one?

~Margie

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

My mother's neighbor has them. She got them from her daughter who had them growing in the yard of a house they bought.

I was checking the Plant Database, and it really looks like the one picture of Wild Apache that is there, but NOT the other picture.

Dauphin, PA

I've found Smoke Rings to be terribly difficult to photograph, because the colors morph from the moment the blooms open. I have pictures of the same bloom taken several hours apart that look very different.

I don't think you've got Smoke Rings, though, and it's not because of the color - my Smoke Rings do not have that much light area on the falls, nor is the line between the light and darker areas so clearly defined.

katie

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

What I noticed about this one is that there is no "line" extending from the beard down into the falls. That was pretty consistent on the all of the flowers that were blooming in the clump she showed me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.