Save my Amaryllis! Please

Baton Rouge, LA

Can some one please tell me why my amaryllis do not bloom? I have several varities that bloom beautifully each spring, however my favorite ( I dont know the name only that it is a pink double) has performed poorly after I planted them 4 years ago. I got wonderful blooms my first year. I hit them each winter with Blood and Bone meal. But still no blooms, So this past April when again all the other varities in my landscape bloomed except these, I decided to move them. The bulbs have shrunk to the size of golf balls. (They were the size of a base ball when I planted them) I put them in pots till I decide where to put them this winter but I afraid I'll lose them. After I placed them in pots I did notice that one of them started to produce a bud only to abort after it brock the soil surface about 2 inchs. I do not cut them back ever and They were planted at the base of a large oak tree, but recieve plenty of direct sun.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm, I'd go with a more complete fertilzer like Miracle grow or a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 made half strength and feed every other watering. How many hours of sun does it get a day?

Tom

Baton Rouge, LA

Tom
Before I dug them up they where getting more sun than the others, maybe 7-8 hrs. And I do hit them with a 13-13-13 in the fall.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

O.K. so they get enough light. Try my fertilizer suggestion. They are heavy feeders.

Tom

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Feed them periodically in the summer while they are actively growing. Feeding them in the fall doesn't help much as they are going dormant then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.