Grass for a saline environment ( beach)

New Westminster, BC(Zone 7b)

Looking for advice on a tough grass to compete in a grassy beach area with a few low spots that seem to collect water after a downpour. So far we are trying bermuda grass but even it is having a struggle. The salt water doesnt actually collect in pools but the occasional storm might toss some thereabouts. Not looking for a golf course lawn but still would be nice to have some common areas of turf.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You certainly have my sympathy....and my curiosity! I will be keeping an eye on this to see if any of our wonderful DGers can suggest something. Have you tried kelp or seaweed.....how about morning glories...they grown like mad out at our sea wall.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Have you tried looking up low growing plants that can handle being stepped on? They are known as stepables. I think Thyme was one plant that could handle that. I don't know if it could grow down there but it's something to think about.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Marjoram is another. And lemon basil might work....it grows just about anywhere, and has a lovely scent when you brush against it or cut it. I use a lot of portulaca in areas where I don't have anything else growing. I know its not grass - but it puts a pretty bit of color in an otherwise green and sand scape.

Almadena, Portugal

I know this sounds obvious, but consider using Kikuyu grass (Pennisetum clandestinum) which spreads by means of thick coarse runners above and below ground. Originating from central Africa, it tolerates very low water, salty conditions, poor soil and will nearly always recover from drought. On the downside, despite being very tough, Kikuyu can be difficult to source, rarely available as turf and expensive to buy as seed. Traditionally it is planted as ready rooted sprigs or runners, taking at least a year to establish.

Kikuyu is often confused with Bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon) which also sets runners and tolerates low water, but is much finer and turns completely brown as temperatures drop below 5ºC. When a number golf courses in the Algarve, Portugal, started using this grass a few years ago there was much discussion amongst winter players who thought that the greens were dying off.

(Zone 1)

Found this when googling. Interesting:

http://www.turf-seed.com/seaspray/history.php

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha everyone!

Just found our new forum, how very exciting!

In this neck of the woods we use Centipede grass (Eremochloa ophiuroides). It's a very tough, coarse grass - you certainly wouldn't want to golf on it - I am not sure how salt tolerant it would be if flooded though. It will take sun or shade and does well in my garden, but I am not on the beach!

The Kikuyu grass that Plantscape mentioned sounds great, but I haven't heard of it on Maui.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you on this forum. Although I have been a member at Daves for a long time, I have never participated much, and have always felt sort of an outsider that didn't really belong anywhere, but now I have a home!

A Hui Hou
Jenny

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny....I'm so glad you made it!!!!! WELCOME!!!! Hope your trip to the mainland was a happy and productive one, but must say, glad you are home to join our little party!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.