Where's the pics of all the Caladiums everyone's planted?

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

I have some awesome pics I'll be posting in a couple days.

I think I have about 35 different varieties planted.

Bill

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Bill, I posted in the coop thread

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Mine haven't come up yet. I'm hoping to see them break ground soon!

Central, WI(Zone 4b)

Mine are doing great in the pots but not planted out yet as still getting occasional night temperatures below 60 degrees.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Mine have been doing really well...I just didn't plant enough of them! Ordered some more today to pop-in and fill the gaps!

Pic: Marie Moir - I probably have these in a bed that gets just a little too much sun, but they've been doing good!

Thumbnail by KatG

Red Flash...A very strong leaf and can handle sun!

Thumbnail by KatG

Galaxy Caladium - very cheery looking.

Thumbnail by KatG

See what I mean about filling in the holes!!! I think they'll look a lot better also, when this firecracker plant stops blooming! Was also thinking I might pop-in some blackie sweet-potato vine for some groundcover underneath them.

Thumbnail by KatG
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

here's my caladium festival. Mine are in part sun/part shade

Thumbnail by vossner
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine haven't come up yet either. Poor me. I just don't that the heat these FL or TX folks have. I dug one up this weekend and there are tons of roots and a start of a leaf just barely beginning. It's been a heavy rain for 2 days and I'm sure things will pop out soon. I water weekly or bi-weekly but they haven't grown yet. POOR ME in Va.

Kathy

Kathy...I went through the same thing you did...In Florida!!! Once the ground got warm, they just "popped"! In fact, even though it's kind of late to plant Caladiums, I'm going to plant some more. I had some that I bought from Home Depot and planted them in March. Took so long for anything to sprout. Bought some great bulbs from Bill - Caladiums4less and they came up in 3 weeks! Just fantastic plants.

I really hate when people tell me to be "patient"...but the sad thing is - "just be patient" hahaha

That rain you had will do so much for your lovely Caladiums. We finally had a ton of rain the other day and it's so much better than any sprinkler system can provide! Just wait, you'll see some incredible things start to sprout!

Good Luck Hon...please post some pic's!

Kathy

PS: I planted 6 elephant ears a few months ago. One came up immediately and I figured the rest had rotted or died and were just poor bulbs. I just noticed 2 more coming up today? Go figure???

I guess you just can't rush Mother Nature!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I know the crazy VA weather has been a big problem but I think the 2 day rain will make those babies pop up. Thanks for the encouragement!
Kathy

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I HATE waiting for caladiums and elephant ears to pop up. It always takes for ever...

Tom

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Mine are taking their time, too. I'll post pics when I've got them. It's hot here, but think they will still be a bit longer in showing themselves. Seeing all the Florida and Texas pics, I can't wait!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Patience is a must when you're planting bulbs. It'll be worth the wait though!! It does seem like the reds are taking there time coming up this year.

Kathy, Your Fannie Munson's should be up soon and the FL Sweetheart's shouldn't be to far behind.

Kat, It's never to late to plant Caladiums. Ok well maybe the end of August is pushing it...lolol... How 'bout that rain the other day?
I could hear my plants singing sitting here in my office....

You folks up north should be seeing your plants pretty soon,
Hang in There!!!

biLL

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm hangin'!

Bill...that rain the other day was sooooooooo good! It's amazing what a difference it has made to the lawn already. And you're right...I think my plant's where all singing too! :)

We got about 3-4 inches here and it was just a nice steady rain that wasn't a torrential downpour and washed everything out! They're saying that we might get some more at the end of the week.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I put this mix togeather and it turned out to be very attractive. They are in a cedar container.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Such beautiful color. This is "Curly Emma."

This message was edited Jun 5, 2007 4:32 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

x

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I have about twenty miss muffets under the azaleas in front of my house. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I probably needed twice as many in order to get that fuller lusch look that I wanted. They get am shade, early afternoon sun. They would probably do better with more shade.

Here's the long view. If I pull them up this fall, I will double or triple the amount for next year.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Here's a closer look.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful caladiums, everyone! I just recently began to try these. They seem to be doing very well here since it's warmed up!

I do have some that just started sending up some blunt, solid shoots that look like they might be flowers - didn't really even thnk of Caladiums as flowering plants!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here are some others....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Some laves are beauitifully colored and others are almost solid green! Could nitrogen affect the coloring? I think these are all the same varietiey in this picture.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Steve,

The color can absolutely be affected by using to much fertilizer. The farms use a 6-6-6 granular. Is the last one Pink Symphony or Gingerland?

Bill

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Bill, thanks for the information! BTW you have a great site - will remember when I buy my next batch.

I was thinking it was Thai Beauty that I planted there! I looked at some pics of that and imagine how much "pinker" it could have been!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Steve,

The last pic may very well be a Thai Beauty. The Thai looks allot like the Pink Symphony when it's immature. I have a Thai Beauty that looks absolutely stunning this year. I just have to find my darn camera. I may have a professional photographer come over and take some pictures I can use on my web site. I have some un-believable plants this year, they're looking goodddddddddddd

Bill

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a couple of my pots. Living up North I decided to grow mine in pots and my window boxes. I started the pots indoors and potted up the extras and put them on a heat pad until I could get them outside in the window boxes. I did six pots. I did 2 pots of White Christmas and Florida Sweetheart for my house. The WC did get a little sunburned at first but I just tucked them back a little closer to the front porch and they seem fine now. Everyone that comes to the house comments on them one on each side of my front entry.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a shot from a week or so ago. Not quite as full as now and with a little sunburn but I wanted you to see the blue pots I used. I really liked the combo.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I did 2 of these for my mom's house. She just loves them. Florida Cardinal and Gingerland.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mom's are flowering, In fact she called me today to ask if they were supposed to do that. She said there were different things comming out of her plants. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One more shot of my mom's.
I don't have pics of the ones I did for my daughter but they were planted in the same, or very similar cedar planters that Tplant used. Hers is Red Flash and Miss Muffett. I will get some pictures of hers to post later.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is one of my 2 window boxes. Seems I did everything in twos. LOL
I'm waiting to see what they will look like. I just put all the extras from the pots in them along with several other plants. Impatience, Vinca Major and some volunteer morning glories. Some of them are comming up but they aren't very full yet.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've been meaning to post some pictures of mine. i got all Miss Muffets except one of the pots has a weirdo in it! LOL i will take pictures tomorrow morning and post them here. they are gorgeous!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Holly,

They look really nice!!

trackin: What's coming up that isn't supposed to be?

biLL

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hi bill, i'll have to show you the picture tomorrow. it's mixed in with one of the muffets. i'm not complaining! it's just different than the others.

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

trackin,

Sorry about that!!

Every one in a while, a bulb or two can find there way into the wrong tray. Thankfully it doesn't happen that often, but when it does, I know it can throw off the effect.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's ok. i have three fat pots full of the most gorgeous caladiums i've ever had! they are also blooming like crazy. i've never had them do that to this extent so early in the season.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I ordered Fire Chief, Mrs. Arno Nehrling, Florida Calypso & Aaron here are a few pictures

Thumbnail by ghia_girl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.