What happened?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

My brocolli skipped the veggie phase and went right to flower. What did I do wrong (so I can try again, perhaps more successfully next year ~:-()?

2nd question - are brocolli greens edible/tasty?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

With broccoli, you eat the flower buds before they open. Do you mean the buds never got any size (buttoned)? The foliage is edible, decide for yourself whether or not they are tasty to you.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! I guess that's what I mean! They have little brocolli-like clusters - about the size of a wild cherry tomato. Then they have stalks and pretty yellow flowers cluster - doggone it! I went away for a few days, and when I returned, there were flowers everywhere. What could I/should I have done to prevent this from happening.

I am soooo disappointed. This is like the thrid time I've tried cole crops and all attempts have been unmittigated disasters. This year looked like I just might get something. Boo-hiss! Not exactly...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The number one cause of buttoning is allowing the plants to sit in thier pots too long. It is a plant as is cauliflower that cannot stand any interuption in their growth. If the plants get too old forget about it. Some nurseries are very bad about selling plants that have already buttoned. Tranplant within a 6-8 week interval after starting. Any longer than that, and you are asking for failure. Otherwise broccoli is one of the easiest things to grow.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That's exactly what did it then. Not only did I wait too long, in som,e cases I transplanted twice. Live and learn, I guess...

Next year for sure!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I transplanted my homegrown broccoli in about 26 days...they are heading up nice and are very tender even on the stalks.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Sequee, we skipped the big headed brocolli this past season and planted the leaf type brocolli, or brocollo, instead. They produced a few small florets that we harvested along with the leaves. My family now prefers this type. If planting the seedlings sooner doesn't solve the problem, you might try some of the other varieties.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Is this like the broccoli rampicante...?

Whenever I buy broccoli at the farmers' market and leave it too long (I cut the stem and set it in water like a flower), it flowers.

These are the two that we grew:
https://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1129292734

https://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1110468432

Scroll down to see another photo photo of the Spigariello here:
http://www.gourmetseed.com/broccoli_rapa_seed.0.html

duh, I mean raab.

Hmm. Might have to add em to next year's plan...

LOL! the veggies go by many different names, depending on the native language of the eater or the cook. Broccoli has a sharper flavour. We like it to cook it with white cannelini beans and garlic, with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to finish.

Yum! We saute it w/ garlic, ginger, soy sauce and a couple of pinches of sugar or maple syrup.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Truth be told, I don't much like brocolli, was just growing it because someone gave me some seeds. Then I had trouble growing it, so it became a challenge! One I STILL haven't conquered, so I'll keep at it until I succeed, or run out of seeds! I'm actually hoping I will like it better if I grow it at home.

Growing broccoli at home and eating it fresher may convert you. Some of the broccoli that I've seen at the store is too old and already has that "dirty sock" smell about it.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Sequee,

Try growing it as a fall crop, it likes cool weather. If the weather turns hot too fast it will also cause button heads. You're in about the same zone as I , and I have much better luck with my fall broccoli than that I raise in the spring. I plan on setting mine out about the middle of August. Another advantage, no bugs!

Red

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Will you start your seeds indoors, same as in Spring? If so, when?

Think I'll do the same.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Sequee,

No, I don't usually start my fall plants. Southern States carry cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower for the fall crops around here. They usually start carrying them in mid-August.

Zeppy, is there a Southern States in VA near were you live?

Red

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have had zero bug trouble on my spring broccxoli, but the fall crop here tends to be very buggy until late in the season.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sequee, I do start fall plants, Broccoli around the middle of July in a shady bed. You would probably wnat to do it earlier as my target transplant date is Labor day. In you location probrably around the middle of June for August transplant. You want to transplant about 60 days before your first frost and use an early maturing cultivar like Early Dividend , Galleon, or Packman.

Cabbage worms are worse if any thing in the fall, but Bt handles them nicely.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I start broccoli seeds June 14 and June 25 or around those dates here. I start them in pots on the picnic table and they are ready to transplant in July here.

Hmm, Southern States, no. Tractor Supply and the farm bureau, yes. Why, Red?

I'd better get sowing!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

June 14th??? Holy Cow!!! No way am I ready for new babies! I haven't even finished planting out yet...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Zeppy, There are Southern States Coperatives in Harrisonburg, Bridgewater, Staunton, Winchester, and Berryville. Good place for seeds, fertilizer and farm supplies. But like everyone else they carry Bonnie's plants.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Zeppy,

I just wondered if perhaps you could purchase your plants rather than start them for this fall. ☺

Farmer,

Quoting:
But like everyone else they carry Bonnie's plants.

Yes, but they DO carry Early Dividend broccoli, and I've had no trouble with their plants.

Red

Goodness, I don't even know what Bonnie's plants are. But I'm glad they carry starts for fall; hope it's the case in my area. Thanks BigRed and FDill!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Does one NEVER direct seed cole crops?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Sequee,

Quoting:
Does one NEVER direct seed cole crops?

Don't know why not, although I've never tried it.

Red

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It can be done, but time and spacing are real problems. Some commericial growers direct seed for processor crops, but they have precision seeders. They are easy to transplant so traditionally that is the way it has been done. If you direct seeded you would have to thin.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Maybe I will try that in one of my square foot beds next spring, under glass. Ya neva know, they might like it???

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I find that I get better results starting broccoli and cauliflower in the nicer and more controled conditions of plastic trays [2 inch cells] . I get more reliable germination, can control moisture, and finally they are not bothered by bugs up on my table like they are eaten badly when small out in the garden.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

YOu have to buy Bonnie's plants through a major store chain; Bonnie's will not sell to we little people.....we called them. Broccoli will "bolt" aka flower if your temp changes warm quickly. Sometimes you can cut the flowers have and have "side shoots"...

:) Kathy

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I just found this thread. I had the exact same thing happen. I love broccoli and I went to check on my babies today and there were stinkin' yellow flowers on them!! ARGH! Guess I'll try in the fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.